Friday, March 30, 2018

Countdown to Books Along the Teche Literary Festival

Second Line at Shadows on the Teche
We are on countdown to the Books Along the Teche Literary Festival which begins April 6 in New Iberia, Louisiana.

I am beyond excited about attending this festival.  I've never been to New Iberia and can't wait to explore the area. I have a deep love for the southern part of our state and its history.

The only trouble I'm having is trying to figure out how I'm going to pack everything in that I want to see and do into my time schedule.  Some of the festival events overlap so I'm going to have to pick wisely!  On top of that, there are millions of things to see and do beyond the festival.  So, I'm looking at this as an introductory mission so I can plan future trips.

This article in The New Iberian details the festival and a few of the events.

If I don't do any other event at all, I want to see Ernest Gaines speak.  That, and the visit to The Shadows on the Teche are at the top of my list.  I really want to see the famous autographed door inside the house.

Other intriguing events will include the Dave Robicheaux Haunts and Jaunts tour which will highlight historic sites in New Iberia as well as throughout the parish; the food demonstration on Friday morning will be a great preface to that tour.  The reception Friday night at The Shadows should make for a very full day.

On Saturday is an academic symposium of James Lee Burke's work; Steve will probably go find something else to explore while I do this.  After that, the authors and artists fair along Main Street should fill up the afternoon as well as my book totes, and then Ernest Gaines in the late afternoon, and a party that evening because Louisiana knows how to party!

Those are the events that I am certain I want to do; now I just have to figure out how to fit in Bouree lessons, three film screenings, and the Live Oak Walking Tour along Main Street.  And the Swamp Tour.  And Avery Island.  And the rice mill.  And just sitting still and enjoying the Teche.  And a trip to Bayou Teche Brewing in Arnaudville. I'm getting overwhelmed.

The more I read and learn about the area, the more I want to see and do; there is so much history in New Iberia!

I'm anticipating a great weekend and looking forward to filling my belly with delicious food, making new friends, and learning new things.  Festival organizers and Iberia Travel have been so generous and kind in making this trip possible that I can't wait to put faces with names and enjoy their hospitality!

Why don't you make plans to come, too?






No comments: