Saturday, November 17, 2012

Take a Trip to the 2012 Highland Jazz and Blues Festival

It was a lovely day in the park today for he ninth annual Highland Jazz and Blues Festival.

Some photos:

Perennial Shreveport favorite Buddy Flett opened the show:


One of my first stops was at Bertha Cooper Harris's tent.  Several years ago I bought a Christmas ornament from her and I treasure it.  She wasn't at last year's festival so I was glad to see her back this year.  She does primitive art reminiscent of Clementine Hunter.

I bought a copy of her book and a new Christmas ornament.  I'm anxious to read her book - she has quite a compelling story.  I thumbed through it while I was listening to the music today and it is filled with photographs of her work.  I'll certainly post a review once I've read it.  She's a neat lady.


I've got my eye on this print of Chatman School which I can order from her website:


I walked around and looked at the art:


Hardrick Rivers Revue was playing on the Gazebo Stage; they play often at our favorite Natchitoches spot, The Pioneer Pub, and they're very good:


Here's the annual "Steve petting a dog" picture:


These dogs were great.  They sat right behind us and soon had had enough:


The Jerry Beach Band came up after Buddy Flett's set; Jerry was able to persuade daughter Robin Beach Black to come up for a song but her son was having a little separation anxiety:


He was adorable.

As always, there was plenty of food:


I had boudin balls and fries:


It was superb.  Steve got a cheeseburger.  It was hard to decide - too many choices!


The Scotty Boy Daniels Blues Band was fabulous; Steve bought a CD:


The mid-afternoon crowd - this is nearly three hours before the headliner:


More art:


Beef jerky vendor:


Redneck Wine Glass:


If Monet had a tripod...


A guy in a kilt:


and a big umbrella:


I eventually stood in the Port-a-Potty line and the guy in front of me figured out how to manage his business and his dog on a leash...


...the little dog was confused trying to figure out where his owner went.  Every time one of the purple doors opened the dog looked up in anticipation.


The headliner was the son of blues legend Muddy Waters: Big Bill Morganfield was a huge hit:


All in all, it couldn't have been a more perfect day: the weather was perfect, the crowd huge, and fun was head by all.  I'm a terrible videographer but I did shoot this random look at the crowd as The Glenn Rainey Band played "Ho-Di-Ko-Di-Ya-La-Ma-La":





The SIGIS Take a Trip Series:
Take a Trip to the 2012 Defenders of Liberty Air Show at BAFB
Take a Springtime Trip to Second Hand Rose Antiques in Minden, LA
Take a Trip to Logansport, Louisiana
Take a Trip to the Lock and Dam on Red River
Take a Trip to the 2012 Barkus and Meoux Parade
Take a Christmas Shopping Trip to Second Hand Rose in Minden
Take a Trip to the Fourth Annual Barksdale AFB Oktoberfest 
Take a Trip to Grand Cane's Fifth Annual Pioneer Trade Day
Take a Trip to the 2011 Highland Jazz & Blues Festival
Take an Autumn Trip to Jefferson, Texas
Take a Fall Trip to Second Hand Rose Antiques in Minden
Take a Trip to the 8th Air Force Museum at Barksdale Air Force Base
Take a Summertime Trip to Grand Cane
Take a Trip to Desoto Parish
Take a Summer Trip to Second Hand Rose Antiques in Minden
Take a Trip to Natchitoches and Melrose Plantation 
Take a Trip to Ed Lester Farms and a Random Antique Stop
Take a Trip to the Norton Art Gallery and the Masters of Cuban Art Exhibit
Take a Trip to Natchitoches to See the Christmas Lights
Take a Trip to the Third Annual BAFB Oktoberfest 
Take a Trip to Natchitoches and Oakland Plantation
Take a Trip to Jefferson, Texas
Oktoberfest at BAFB

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were there too. It was a great day and a great event. Can't wait for next year.

Adrienne said...

BOUDIN BALLS????????? Oh my gosh! What I would do to have some Boudin.

I'll say this again in case you missed it the first time: You guys have way more fun than most of us!

Pat Austin Becker said...

Adrienne, call these people. Maybe they ship. We love them!
http://www.bergeronsboudin.com/contact_5.html

Scott Daniel said...

Glad you enjoyed our music! I had a ball playing the Highland Jazz & Blues Festival. What a great time! Thank you Steve for buying my CD. I hope you are enjoying it!

Steve said...

Scott, thanks for coming to Shreveport and entertaining us. I've been listening to the CD and in the morning when I start it up I'll be listening to "Educated Fool.". We are looking forward to seeing you in the future.