Saturday, June 9, 2012

Take A Stocking the Freezer Trip to Ed Lester Farms and Find a Cool Truck!

Ah, summer!

We're on baby watch around here - NO not me!  Horrors!  My beautiful daughter and her husband are expecting my first grandchild within the month so we are not getting too far away from the house these days in case we have to throw a suitcase in the Jeep and drive over to Texas for a few days.   Here she is at about 24 weeks in - I like this picture.


We are very blessed that things have gone smoothly so far!

Baby watch.

So, keeping close to the house but wanting fresh veggies from Ed Lester Farms, Steve and I headed down to Coushatta today to start stocking the freezer for the winter.  I love having fresh purple hull peas or butter beans year round (although Steve is about SICK of purple hull peas now).

Once at Lesters I could hardly pay attention to the produce because I kept looking at this gorgeous 1952 Chevy truck sitting there:


My goodness but that thing was gorgeous!  The interior was spectacular!  Beautiful!

I did finally manage to focus on the task at hand and starting picking up veggies:


This trip we got new potatoes, sweet corn, tomatoes, a bushel of purple hulls (already shelled!), pinto beans (not shelled), yellow squash, okra, cucumbers, hot peppers, and peaches.  We're going to make at least one more trip down because the butter beans aren't in yet, there's more corn coming, and I like the larger freestone peaches that are still to come.  And always more tomatoes!

We can never go to Coushatta without our regular stop at Bailey's for a big ol' greasy cheeseburger.  They have other things, too...


...but I do love those burgers!

After we ate we checked out a recently opened antique shop on Front Street:


It's in a grand old building and check out that tin ceiling!  Love it!  I bought these funky glass candlesticks for $10:


When we got home Steve and I set to work shelling pinto beans...


...some of which I cooked for dinner:


I love summer!




The SIGIS Take a Trip Series:
Take a Trip to the 2012 Defenders of Liberty Air Show at BAFB
Take a Springtime Trip to Second Hand Rose Antiques in Minden, LA
Take a Trip to Logansport, Louisiana
Take a Trip to the Lock and Dam on Red River
Take a Trip to the 2012 Barkus and Meoux Parade
Take a Christmas Shopping Trip to Second Hand Rose in Minden
Take a Trip to Grand Cane's Fifth Annual Pioneer Trade Day
Take a Trip to the 2011 Highland Jazz & Blues Festival
Take an Autumn Trip to Jefferson, Texas
Take a Fall Trip to Second Hand Rose Antiques in Minden
Take a Trip to the 8th Air Force Museum at Barksdale Air Force Base
Take a Summertime Trip to Grand Cane
Take a Trip to Desoto Parish
Take a Summer Trip to Second Hand Rose Antiques in Minden
Take a Trip to Natchitoches and Melrose Plantation 
Take a Trip to Ed Lester Farms and a Random Antique Stop
Take a Trip to the Norton Art Gallery and the Masters of Cuban Art Exhibit
Take a Trip to Natchitoches to See the Christmas Lights
Take a Trip to Natchitoches and Oakland Plantation

3 comments:

Mike Thiac said...

Congrats Grandma!

Kartman said...

Being a grand parent is one of the best things that a person can experience.

edutcher said...

Very nice, your daughter, not the truck.

You do good work.

PS Congrats - although you look much too young to be called, "Grandma".

(although you can't wait, I'll bet)