Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Dear 2013

Dear 2013,

I wish I could say it's been nice knowing you, but I can't.

In the spirit of the hundreds of "year's end" posts that are published this time of year, please accept this small one from me.

Go away.

I could list all the reasons why 2013 has been a personally lousy year in my small part of the universe which would include everything from the loss of my mother to the breakup of my favorite local band.  I had jury duty.  There was one expensive household problem after another (plumbing, automotive, etc.) and some expensive legal issues. My ex lost his father, which was my son's grandfather, who was a veteran and a very kind man.  A couple of friends and acquaintances made their exit as well.  The world is a darker place without them.

I could list all those things but



In truth, there were some good things this year, not the least of which is that I survived all those bad things.

When I needed help getting classroom materials and books for my students in August, my blog readers came through big time!  For that, I'm eternally grateful.  Also good this year, my stepson married a wonderful girl and they're on their way to a wonderful life together.  I have a beautiful grandson who amazes me every single day and my daughter and her husband are blessed beyond measure.  Grateful.  My son is making good grades at the local Community College.  Blessed.

Steve and I took a great vacation this past summer visiting a number of places across the Midwest and certainly got our kicks on Route 66; planning something big for 2014!

I am lucky to have some good friends and great people in my life and to have developed some special friendships this year.

Steve and I both have our health, three dogs, jobs, and a roof over our heads.

Dear 2013, while you were often painful and frequently expensive, there was some good there.

But overall, I won't be sad to see you go.

Goodbye.

No comments: