Sunday, August 26, 2012

Rabbits

Blogging has been light because I've had family issues; I know the RNC has a convention this week and I know a hurricane is headed my way, but blogging takes backseat to family so that's why you're not seeing much about all that here.

Many regular readers know my mom and my anecdotes of caretaking over the past seven years, but the last time I posted something about her I got some snarky comment about how my mom's medical issues aren't anybody's business.  It kind of stung so I haven't posted anything else about her.

However, mom took a fall at home Thursday evening and fractured her C2 vertebrae so I've been busy hospital sitting and dealing with all that this entails.  She's okay - she's in a collar brace for six to eight weeks; this is a non-surgical injury.  She's sore and banged up and quite drugged right now.  Yesterday she thought I was a rabbit.  When the doctor came in she asked him where all the rabbits were coming from.  

We are transitioning back to The Glen probably tomorrow which she is actually looking forward to.  If you want to get up to speed on mom, just click the tag at the bottom.  We've done The Glen before and she likes it there.  Great people there.

A quick shout out to those who are helping me so much right now and being so supportive: my principal and my school people have stepping up to help with my classes and I'm forever grateful.  Bearkats take care of other Bearkats and they're like family to me.  I'm overwhelmed.  I have nothing but good things to say about the folks at Willis Knighten Pierremont - those seventh floor nurses are great and mom's nurse, Rachel, has been a dream.  I'll post something about all that later (despite Mr. Snarky's comment from last time).

I've never been one to ask for help; I just bear the load and do what has to be done.  But I had to ask some folks this time and I'm forever grateful for the support.  Lucky to have such good friends and family when you need them!

Anyway, we're okay, but blogging is light until I get my momma taken care of!  A fractured neck at 87 is no small deal.  

I appreciate your prayers and support and thank you for checking in.

11 comments:

Tina said...

God bless your mom and you and your family! How wonderful to have lots of good people helping look after her. We pray she will heal quickly, and have little pain.

Don't ever listen to anyone grumbling about your posts - you post whatever YOU want to talk about. Your writing is why we read SIGIS. :-)

Tina said...

God bless your mom and you and your family! How wonderful to have lots of good people helping look after her. We pray she will heal quickly, and have little pain.

Don't ever listen to anyone grumbling about your posts - you post whatever YOU want to talk about. Your writing is why we read SIGIS. :-)

Curmudgeon said...

@ Pat,

I took care of my mother for seventeen years in her home. She was a victim of Multiple Sclerosis. She died in 1996 from the disease. My father was devastated as you might imagine.

Ten years later, my father passed away from loneliness, I imagine. But I also took care of him.

All tolled, I spent twenty-seven years caring for my elderly parents.

I deeply understand your burden of love.

My prayers go out to you and your devoted husband Steve.

May the Lord rest His Hand on your shoulder and give you comfort and the courage to tend to your aging, beloved mother.

Please take care of yourself in the meantime.

Red said...

God bless you Pat. You take care of business how you see fit. Anyone who posts a crappy comment on your personal blog about blogging about your personal business obviously doesn't have a clue that they are on your personal blog and that you can blog about whatever you want whenever the hell you feel. Hang in there my friend ;-) Speedy happy healing thoughts to your Mom from this 'ol Corndog.

Pat Austin Becker said...

Thanks, girls! I love y'all! Really.

edutcher said...

If it helps to blog about Mom, blog.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do and sometimes it helps to talk it out with friends.

Never let the occasional sourball make you forget that.

PS Been there, done that - several times over. I know what a tough haul it can be.

Hang in, kid.

PapaMAS said...

Sorry to hear about your mom. Don't let the turkeys get you down.

yukio ngaby said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother, Pat. My prayers and best wishes for you and your family.

Um, was the snarky comment from your mom, or just some visitor to your blog? If it was just some snarky visitor, forget him and his "advice."

Pat Austin Becker said...

@Yukio: my mom doesn't have a computer or even know what a blog is! Lol! good to hear from you, and thanks!

Bob Belvedere said...

What Tina and Red said, Pat.

Godspeed.

Anonymous said...

Prayers offered.