Saturday, August 11, 2012

It's Time For a Little R and R!

I've donated to the Romney campaign twice.  The first time was when the ObamaCare ruling came down from the Supreme Court and the second time was today.

Apparently, I wasn't the only one!  The Hill:
Spokeswoman Andrea Saul announced on Twitter that the campaign has raised over $1.2 million since announcing Ryan as the vice presidential candidate early Saturday.
I think that conservatives are happy with the pick!  And I think that those who were holding back will now be on board.  Like the good professor:
I just donated to the Romney-Ryan campaign.  And in case you were wondering, maxed out. For the first time in my adult life I was proud to do so.
Around the web:

Hot Air has posted three fabulous Ryan videos, including the entire announcement event today.  I've listened to Ryan's speech three times now.  But especially refreshing (and just plain amazing) is this one of Ryan smacking Obama's health care bill:



Is this man ready for prime time?  You bet he is.

Pundette is thrilled; she has fireworks, too.
Yes, I'm happy. Paul Ryan is the guy who understands the urgency of putting the brakes on our national hurtle toward the fiscal cliff, and hence, is Obama's natural enemy.  

Michelle Malkin is very relieved; see her post (with links) here.

Robert Costa blogged about the rollout this morning noting:
The chemistry between the pair was evident, but what really made an impression was the reaction of veterans and suburban moms to Ryan. He doesn’t enthrall on the stump, but he connects. They don’t all know him well, but they like him, and they are excited.
I'd have to disagree on that "doesn't enthrall" thing;  I was enthralled this morning.  I found it refreshing to listen to a speech that was not filled with uhhhms, and uh, uh, uh staggers; one that showed humor, good nature and optimism.  Ryan seemed confident and happy to me.  Enthralling?  Yes, because I saw flashes of what is to come.

I'm not one of those who keeps looking for "the next Reagan."  There was only one Reagan.  I am, however, always looking for the bright leaders of the future.  I saw that in Marco Rubio early on (after being tipped off to him by Stacy McCain.)

I see it in Paul Ryan, too.  I was hoping, in a way, back in August that he would run.  As it turned out, I think we have the perfect ticket.  Or near perfect.

One of my favorite tweets that I saw this morning (sorry I didn't screen cap it and can't credit the tweeter) was after Romney announced Ryan as the next president.  The tweet was along the lines of "So you're changing roles?  Because if you are, that's okay with me!"

Charles Krauthammer reacts to the rollout today:
“Now here are the Republicans four years later saying, ‘well, you had your shot at charisma with this idea of hope and change. It’s not hope and change. It’s a dismal, sort of declining America. We have the ideas. We have the policies. We’re willing to risk on them. We are willing to lead on them, lead from in front. 
“And that’s what I think shifts the whole debate. It is a dynamic one about future, ideas and change. Change is now on the side of Republicans, where as it was on the policy of this side of the Democrats in 2008. And they can make a coherent case of that as we heard Ryan doing in his introductory remarks.”
Be sure to check out Doug Ross's post on the best reactions to the Ryan selection; especially rich is Ryan Lizza who notes that Paul Ryan is "light on experience."  Yes, well, we knew that was coming.

For my part, for today, I'm not going to read any negative lefty attacks today.  (Team Obama started attacking Ryan before Ryan's speech was over.)  There will be plenty of them and there will be time for that in the days to come.

Just for today, I'm going to bask in the optimism and the return to American values that Romney/Ryan will be serving up in November!


(Memeorandum is all about the pick today; many links and much more there.)

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Woohoo! Earlier in the week, I decided it would probably be Ryan, but I think that was mostly wishful thinking. And then when I saw the news last night, it felt like Christmas Eve.

The MSM is already freaking out, which I take to be a good thing.

Anonymous said...

I really admire Paul Ryan but, despite selecting him as his VP, Romney will not beat Obama. The leftist main stream media is not gonna let their boy lose. However, I do believe that 2016 will be Paul Ryan's year and the country will be addressing him as President Ryan.

Anonymous said...

It seemed like the nation breathed fresh air!!