Sunday, April 12, 2015

Checking In

Oh goodness it's been a while since I posted anything.

Is anybody still here?

I've all but stopped blogging on political issues; Hillary disgusts me, Obama nauseates me, and the Republican field depresses me, although I do like the Republican field better than I did last cycle.  As the campaign gets a little closer to relevance I'll probably get back into the game a bit, but for now I have other things on my plate.

I'm still blogging at DaTechGuy, putting up one post a week on Mondays, and those are usually somewhat political in nature but usually with a Louisiana angle.

I'm spending most of my time working on a book and there is a lot of research involved.  I've been heavily into the project for a year now and have at least another year to go, I would say.  I'm loving every moment of it but it doesn't leave much time for anything else.

Anyway, just popped in to say hello, I'm still here, I'll be back, and feel free to leave a comment and say hey, or something.

See you soon!

9 comments:

edutcher said...

Hey, or something.

Actually, the R field isn't that bad. I'd like to see a couple more dyed-in-the-wool Conservatives, but so far it's hard to complain too much.

Somebody could be thinking about his pen and his phone and a third term.

Pat Austin Becker said...

Well goodness that'll give me nightmares!

I'm glad you commented. I do miss the dialogue here.

Jim said...

We're still here!

Adrienne said...

Waaaaaaaaay more important is that I have finally purchased the meat grinder and sausage stuffer attachment for my Kitchen Aid. Picked it up months ago at Costco.

I've already made Italian sausage and it was beyond wonderful.

I also bought a marked down chuck roast and turned it into course ground ground beef. Yum!

But...............you know what's next.

BOUDIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you like boudin balls, but I want to make the real gooey sausage that you squeeze out into your waiting drooling mouth.

I'm favoring this recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/my-boudin-388369

Hillary tweeted she was running for president. Yawn...

Pat Austin Becker said...

I have a kitchen aid! I must get this attachment!!!

Adrienne said...

This is a very good deal on Amazon. About what I paid at Costco.

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Grinder-Attachment-Sausage-Stuffer/dp/B00CX6TAGY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1428872737&sr=8-2&keywords=kitchen+aid+grinder+and+stuffing

The first time was a real learning curve. I now know that when people say to cut the meat up into chunks and put in freezer for about 30 minutes they mean 30 minutes - NOT 15. It gums up the works if it's too soft.

Also - all my recipes called for two grindings for the Italian sausage. The second grind was with the addition of the spices. Next time I will season the chunks of meat and only grind once before stuffing.

I also learned that it's very hard to break the hog casings. Luckily, one of our local grocery stores carries an 8 oz package of hog cases for super cheap.

Budget wise, I made the Italian sausage for about $1.50 per pound (Costco pork butts) and it was ten times better than anything you can buy in a store. I figured that I saved about $40.00.

Pat Austin Becker said...

Oh my gosh that's awesome! There's a little mom n pop Italian grocery near me; they make the best breakfast sausage... Just the right amount of hear. I'm going to try it!

Zilla said...

Hey! From one infrequent blogger to another. Glad to see you, Pat! Best wishes on the book, I'm sure it will be fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Hello too. I stop by about once a week, while browsing on weekends.