Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Little Women


On this day in 1868, Louisa May Alcott first published her novel Little Women. I loved this book as a child. I'm not sure how many times I read it! If you've never read it, you should. It's the story of the March girls, Jo, Beth, Amy and Meg; they live with their mother, Marmee, while their father is away at the Civil War. I always felt like I was a combination of the rambunctious Jo, and Beth who was quiet and sweet. I loved the way they amused themselves by reading books and playing make-believe games. Jo's friendship with the neighbor boy Laurie fascinated me. Of course, by the end of the book I didn't want to be Beth anymore, but no spoilers here in case you haven't read it.

I hated the movie with Winona Ryder but I liked the original one with Katharine Hepburn as Jo; the 1949 one with Elizabeth Taylor as Amy was good, too.

I still have my childhood copy of the book; maybe I should dig it out and reread it!

1 comment:

Mary Frances Archer said...

omg my little women madame alexander dolls remain my favorites!!!