Sunday, September 14, 2008

Pushing Back from Politics



I am signing off (for the time being) with regard to political posts! We are now, as it is called, in the "silly season" of politics; let the mudslinging begin! The candidates and their aides are degenerating into the worst name-calling, mud-slinging, rumor mongering campaign than I can remember in a long time. I want no part of it. I've made up my mind on how I will vote and absolutely nothing will change it. If I continue to listen to the current headlines I might find myself packing a bag for Australia. A sample:

Obama aide: McCain tactics sleaziest in history (CNN)
Palin "scares the hell" out of Ed Koch (CNN)
Obama mocks McCain as computer illiterate (Breitbart)
War Injuries Prevent McCain from Typing on Keyboard (Politico)
Obama Plans Sharper Tone as Party Frets (NYTimes)
McCain's Blizzard of Lies (NYTimes)
Sarah Palin: Not Just a Liar, a Bad Liar (Daily Kos)
Once Elected Palin Hired Friends and Lashed Foes (NYTimes)
Sarah Palin's Hypocritical Oil Tax (The New Republic)

It goes on and on and it's coming from both sides. I'm sick of it. It's negative and non-productive and for the most part, like the lipstick mess, it's irrelevant. I'm going to watch the debates and I'll likely get back into the fray on some of that, but for now, I'm SICK OF the name-calling, finger-pointing, hate-feeding political game.


(Image credit: RonMartin.net)

10 comments:

Nikki said...

Thought you might like this comment from Kid Rock:

"I truly believe that people like myself, who are in a position of entertainers in the limelight, should keep their mouth shut on politics. Because at the end of the day, let me tell you what I 'm good at: I'm good at writing songs and singing. What I'm not educated in is the field of political science. And so for me to be sharing my views and influencing people of who I think they should be voting for … I think would be very irresponsible on my part. So I'll just keep my mouth shut on that. I think celebrity endorsements hurt politicians. Because as soon as somebody comes out for a politician, especially in Hollywood, when they all go, 'I'm voting for this guy!' — I go, 'That's not who I'm voting for!' … As soon as Oprah Winfrey pops up and goes 'Ha-la-la-la-la,' I'm like, 'I love Barrack Obama. I hate Oprah Winfrey.' I don't hate her. I just don't believe in her, so I don't want any part of any of that. I think celebrities hurt politicians."

- Kid Rock tells CMT Insider

Pat Austin Becker said...

Could not have said it better myself; I LOVE it!

Sarah said...

I never thought I'd say this but, well said, Kid Rock! LOL

I hate to see you not making political posts but I know where you're coming from. I still can't wait for the debates though!

Did you see the SNL skit with Tina Fey? What did you think?

Pat Austin Becker said...

I'll talk about politics when people get back to the issues. I think the Obama camp slamming McCain for not being able to type on a keyboard did me in. That, and when somebody said, "John Did I tell you I was a war hero McCain". If they're going to start bashing McCain for being a POW then I'm just packing my toys and going home. I want no part of that.

I thought Tina Fey was funny! And I loved Palin's line when she said she thought it was funny, too, because last Halloween she dressed up as Tina Fey!

Trixie said...

i am going to truly miss your politics...but they will still be going on over at the 'liberal' end of the spectrum. :)

the snl skit made me scream! when tina fey posed like she was holding the gun! I laughed so hard!

btw...make sure you ask nikki about the mcafee siteadvisor issues...

have a great day!

luculent

Pat Austin Becker said...

I'm sure I'll be back in the fray once something ticks me off bad enough to jump back in. I'm just ready to get to actual issues and not this schoolyard name-calling mess.

Sarah said...

I was going to take a play from your book and take a break too but I just typed up this huge thing about feminists...I just can't decide if I should post it. For the most part, I stick to issues but I get a little nasty with our buddy, Maureen Dowd.

Pat Austin Becker said...

Aw go ahead with it!
I'm having to bite my tongue but the "you're sleazier than me" crap makes me ill.

Sarah said...

I'm having my dad and a couple of my friends who never comment read it to see if they think it's too much. I did tone it down a bit...I'm more afraid that it's just going to sound ill-informed or something.

Sarah said...

edited down so much that it doesn't flow so well anymore, but posted