Saturday, September 27, 2008

Paul Newman


I'm so sad to hear this morning of the loss of Paul Newman. He was one of the classiest actors in Hollywood, in my opinion. I have admired his long-standing marriage in a land where marriages often last 48 hours, as well as his extensive charity work and films. Some of the very greatest movies were graced by his performance. No way to name them all but I have to point out Cat on a Hot Tin Roof as one of my favorites; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Hustler, The Sting, The Color of Money, Slap Shot, and of course, Cool Hand Luke ("I can eat fifty eggs.")

What a sad day for his many friends and fans.

(Image credit: IMDB.com)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite Paul Newman movie has to be Cool Hand Luke. That movie made being on a chain gang look like it would be fun.
But there were a few movies that were hits according to the critics, but to my inner critic I'm not to sure.

Hud comes to mind. It had a plot; driving around in a Caddy convertible and raising hell, while his Dad worked hard raising cattle. I despised the end of that movie. I don't want to spoil the ending, in case you decide to see it, but the cattle get Hoof and Mouth Disease, and a big, deep pit is dug by bulldozers, and they run the cattle into the pit, and everyone brings a rifle... Like I said, I don't want to spoil the ending.

I lost some respect for Paul Newman because of his support for confessed cop-killer and Black Panther member, Mumia Abu-Jamal, who in 1981 murdered Philadelphia Poilce Officer Daniel Faulkner.

I have seen interviews with Faulkner's widow, Maureen (God Bless her), and after nearly three decades that woman is in as much pain as if it happened yesterday.

It was reported that Paul Newman was using some of the proceeds from his salad dressing line to finance Abu-Jamal's legal fees to get his conviction over turned.

Paul Newman wasn't the only one from the Hollywood Loons who supported Abu-Jamal. There are: Mike Ferrell, Susan Sarandon, Whoopi Goldberg, Ed Asner and Oliver Stone. Go Figure.

Mary Frances Archer said...

this broke my heart