Thursday, February 18, 2010

An Experiement with the Kindle

Shhhhhhhhhh! Don't tell Bride of Rove, but I've downloaded the Kindle app for my iPhone and I'm giving it a shot.

The app is free - why would I buy a $300 device?

She's an ardent supporter of the e-book, and I've griped and moaned about them for a long time now. Bride has kindly not told me to shut up until I've tried it - she's too nice for that. She did suggest that I don't know what I'm missing. And my own good conscience says I should give it a try before I knock it.

I can see the benefits in e-books to some degree. Portability. And it's true - you don't want to keep ALL your books. It's cheaper than real books. It's spontaneous - you can download a book on a whim.

My first e-book is one that I know I don't want to treasure later and keep on the shelf for reference. I'll never be able to Kindle those. (Is "kindle" a verb now? I mean, "Facebooked" is a verb now, so why not "kindle"?)

Anyway, my first e-book is Sue Grafton's "U" is for Undertow. I've read all the others and hate to bail on her before I get to the end of the alphabet, although Kinsey is stuck in the eighties.

I'll report back and let you know how my experiment turns out.

2 comments:

BoR said...

Prepare to get hooked.

Oh. And. Me? Nice? You must be skipping over the rants, then. ;-)

MarySue said...

Ooh I just got a new phone and lo and behold they have a blackberry app for kindle also. I think this is worth a try for the portability. I already like the instant gratification part of Kindle for PC but don't like being tied to the computer any more than I already am, of course.