Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I've Capitulated

Don't tell Bride of Rove, but I've actually read two entire books on my eReader now.  (I use the Kindle app on my Android tablet).

BoR and I have been having this book debate for a couple of years now and I swore I'd never read electronic books.  I also swore (once upon a time) that I'd never have a cellphone, and well, that didn't last.

A while back I got this Android tablet and I use it to read some periodicals and surf websites and news through the Pulse reader.  But books?  Nah.

Until last week.  Micheal Henry contacted me about reading his latest manuscript Atmosphere of Violence; it's book number 5 for Michael and his son/co-writer William and they were looking for some feedback.  (You can order it now through Amazon; it's only $2.99!  You can't lose!)  The problem?  The book was still in manuscript form.  They sent the document through email and I downloaded it into the Kindle app.  

And I read it.

What really helped was the fact that the book is fabulous and I couldn't put it down.  

I read the whole book in about three or four days and even made the occasional note using the "note" function. Woah!  Progress!

I finished the book and I thought, "Well, now.  That was pretty cool.  And convenient."  Which is what BoR said to me all along.  So I was lounging around one day this week, went online, and downloaded Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews.  Light chick lit.  I hate chick lit, but I like her books (mostly because her first few books I read had a character that was an antique dealer).  

I downloaded Summer Rental...and read it.  

I'm on a roll now.  I'm already thinking, "What's next?!"

It'll never replace my dead-tree books; some I want to keep on the shelf, you know.  But I guess I'm now a Kindle reader.  Dammit.

Just don't tell BoR because she'll say "I  told you so."  

8 comments:

Bride Of Rove said...

Ok you know what? I may seem off line but I'm monitoring ;-)

Tina said...

LOL @ BoR!

A librarian (yes a librarian) was telling me over the weekend that the nicest thing about a Kindle is that she can read it in bed without any light disturbing her husband.

My sweet Paul is so sensitive to any light at night that we have to close the bathroom door so the nightlight in there doesn't shine in. *sigh*

If those little machines really don't shed ambient light, so that I could read in bed again, it would be a gift from heaven!

Jayhawk said...

I was sneering at electronic books until my good friend held up his reader, about the size of a largish cell phone, and said, "I've got fifty books in here." I now have fifty+ in mine.

Mike Thiac said...

BoR and I have been having this book debate for a couple of years now and I swore I'd never read electronic books. I also swore (once upon a time) that I'd never have a cellphone, and well, that didn't last

Don't feel so bad...I used to swear I'd never own a computer! ;<)

Sarah said...

Love MKA (though Summer Rental was not my favorite)!

Just don't become her FB friend...

Pat Austin Becker said...

@Sarah,
Well you've got to explain WHY NOT, now!

William Teach said...

Once you get used to reading ebooks, you never want to go back to paper. I've had a Kindle since 2008, and I almost never read paper anymore. If it's something I want to read, but, not pay that much for, I'll hit the library, but that has become really rare.

I find so many great books for free or just a few dollars.

K T Cat said...

I've learned to enjoy the eBooks. I get to read and I don't have them stack up on my night stand.