Friday, January 28, 2011

Pence is Out

So Mike Pence decided not to run in 2012.  This disheartens me.  Apparently he was finally persuaded by a bunch of Republican governors.  I rather expect he'll give it a go sometime in the future, but 2012 is beginning to make me a little nervous despite Charles Krauthammer's statement last night that it's still early.  He's right.  It is.  But I don't much like what I'm seeing out there so far.  I was really hoping Pence would be that strong conservative dark horse that would rescue us from the inevitable Romney, Gingrich, and yes, Palin runs. 

I know...this raises the ire of many of my conservative friends.  I can hear the "Not you, too SIGIS!  No!" 

Look, I like Palin just fine.  I do.  I think she's got strong conservative views and the right positions on many issues.  I just don't think the White House is her destined role.  Palin has a vital role to serve in the conservative community and I think she can be more effective in a number of other positions. In addition (and I'll probably lose 15 followers over this), I just don't think she's electable.  She's too polarizing.

So there. 

Seriously, even my mom, who is more conservative than Reagan, saw Palin flash across the screen the other day and said, "I don't like her."  I said, "Why, mom?"  (We seldom discuss politics).  She said, "She talks too much.  She's always got something to say."

Now, admittedly, that's not necessarily a bad thing.  We need someone talking...screaming to the hills about about what's going on in Washington.  I'm glad Palin is doing that.  She has a role.  But she puts a lot of folks off, like my mom, by her tone and her hyper-visibility. 

That said, I think there's much about Palin to like.  I'm the one who called her a ROCKSTAR! after her nomination speech.  I thought that speech was great!  I'm a fan.  I just don't think the White House is where she will end up.

And so.  I wanted Pence to jump in there.  I just can't bear the thought of the retreads.  I don't think Jindal will run, although he would probably go for a VP slot, if asked.  Christie isn't indicating a run, and I'm not sure it's his time. 

I'm waiting for the Rubio run.  That's the ticket!

5 comments:

Kim said...

dang it! :/

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100% on Palin. She is unelectable and if she is the Republican nominee, it will ensure re-election for Obama. Your mother is also very wise in her estimation of Palin.

Just a conservative girl said...

yeah, I am very saddened by this news. I am of the mind that this guarantees Obama of re-election. My concerns are slightly different than yours; Pence was the only person that could bridge the grassroots and the establishment. Palin can't do that, and yes I agree she is unelectable. The middle who win or lose elections have their minds made up about her. If she hasn't moved that gauge in two years, she isn't going to move it in the next two.

Your mom is a smart lady.

Sarah said...

I've decided my dream ticket is some combination of Paul Ryan and Bobby Jindal. Not holding my breath though.

Fenway_Nation said...

For Pence, Governor of Indiana is kind of the low-hanging fruit when you're bracketed by dysfunctional blue states like Illinois or Michigan that the Dems have spent years pile-driving into the ground.