Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Minden Fasching Karneval and Parade

Steve and I are in for a string of busy weekends.  It's Mardi Gras season and we have parades and parties one after the other to attend and then in March we have tickets to a Dallas Stars game, so we are about to be very busy!

The fun starts this weekend with a trip to Minden and their version of Mardi Gras:  a German Fasching celebration.  Milly Rose invited us several weeks back to come over for "the Fasching" and I've been hard pressed to find many details other than that they have a parade at "dusk" - around 5:30 or 6.

After a search again today I found where there's been a Facebook page created, and a website, even though there isn't much there.  The schedule of events says "Coming Soon."

There does appear to be a photo of an ad on the Facebook page with a lineup of bands, and I was tickled to see Buddy Flett on the schedule from 2:00 to 3:00.  There will be "Food, Entertainment, and Fun" the ad says.

I'm in!

I talked to Milly today and she says they've been busy all week setting up rides and food booths, much of it right across the street from her shop.  She's right there in the thick of it all!  Even better, her shop will be open for business Saturday so I'll be taking lots of new pictures and a video of the first floor this time.  If you thought that attic of a third floor was something, just WAIT until you see the first floor!  I'll need a bigger video card.

I'm hoping Sandy might pop in here and chime in something about the Fasching.  I'm wondering if the food will have a German flair since this festival is supposed to celebrate Minden's German heritage. Sandy usually rides a float but isn't planning on it this year.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

Unfortunately, I don't know much since I have been out of the loop so long. Minden welcomes its guests with much hospitality , so come join in. Wish I could join you?

Steve Burri said...

UPDATE: Shreveport, LA- Pat and Steve to attend Fascist parade!

Anonymous said...

Join our festival in Downtown Minden, LA as we celebrate our German heritage in true Mardi Gras style! A full day of festival activities is planned beginning at 11 a.m., February 19 in downtown Minden with food, fun and great entertainment, culminating with the parade, which will begin around 5:30 p.m. The royalty of the Krewe des Ambassadeurs will reign over the festivities.

Minden Fasching - Entertainment Schedule
Dorcheat Bottom Band 11:00am-12:30pm
Jason Quarles 12:35pm-12:55pm
Matthew Davidson Band 1:00pm-2:00pm
Buddy Flett 2:05pm-3:00pm
Ben Shirley 3:05pm-3:25pm
Soul Circus 3:30pm-Until Parade

Steve said...

When I was in the Air Force and stationed in Germany, I attended a Fasching parade in Neu Isenberg (a suburb of Frankfurt). It was cold that day, but everyone was having a good time. There was a group of guys dressed like American Indian, and they didn't have on shirts. On of them broke from the group and started scaling the side of the building I was standing beside. It was one of many fond memories I had while being stationed in Germany.