Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Another Nifty New Lamp


It must be my lucky lamp week or something but when I told my mother today that I had taken my nifty new/old lamp over to be reworked, she says, "Oh well if you liked that one you might like that other old lamp I have stuck up on the top shelf of the back closet!" Well, yeah, I would.

This is way cool. According to the story, "one of Aunt Maud's husbands, you know she had several, had this lamp made for her out of an old artillery shell." So Steve and I get up into the closet and pull this thing down, and yeah, I remember seeing it around the house back in the day, but it's been in the closet for ages and I forgot about it. Anyway, if you unscrew the base (which needs replacing) it is clearly an old shell. It's been brassed, hammered, and a flower design beat into it (including Maud's name in that wide band at the bottom). What is REALLY interesting is that on the back of it (not seen in this photo) is "Saint Mihiel 1917" which was the first American offensive in World War1 led by General John Pershing.

Mom was all "Aunt Maud really thought she was giving me something when she gave me that" and all I can think, and actually what I said was, "She did!" I love it.

So, now I have ANOTHER nifty brass lamp to polish up, fix up, and buy a shade for! It's like Christmas!

No comments: