Friday, August 22, 2008

Last Call


I could not stand it and had to go just one more time to Don's before it closed. And because Steve loves me, he took me. We got there about 5:30 and it was so crowded that Steve had to park across the street at Brookshires. While he parked, I made my way inside and left my name with the hostess and she said "An hour and a half."

I have to say, it was thrilling to see how Shreveport came out to say goodbye to the old landmark. People of all ages were there and everyone had memories. I overheard one gentleman say, "I'm trying real hard to be cheerful but it's not easy." Lots of folks were walking around with cameras, myself included. I can't even think about how emotional it will be there tomorrow night and then on Sunday as they turn out the lights. I know from working in restaurants myself that those people you work with like that become family. There will be some tears shed before the door closes for the last time on Sunday.

Steve and I made our way to the bar and one of the waitresses was sitting there; she'd just had knee surgery and could not work but just "had to come say goodbye" to her customers that she knew would show up. And they did - in droves. We visited with her for a bit and she said people have been coming in like that ever since the news broke that Don's is closing on Sunday. You just couldn't help but think, "Where WERE all these people before?" and I'm guilty myself. I haven't been to Don's as much as I should have. It's been something I just took for granted and figured it would always be there. I talked to several people that said, "We come EVERY Friday night!" Our waitress friend told us that they had been struggling for a couple of years and just could not make it any more.

Of the artifacts in the place, I hear that Apollo has been sold already. Everything else will be sold. Steve and I shared a final dozen raw oysters at the bar, and I had a draft beer. He had to go to work so he had a coke. And as we left, I must admit, it was with a little tear in my eye that I said goodbye to Don's.

3 comments:

heelers said...

That photo is making me hungry.
The midnight snacker.
Aka James

Pat Austin Becker said...

I'm right there with ya James; I could have had six dozen. I ordered oysters and the server was like, "What kind?" Well, raw, of course! With horseradish and beer.

Mary Frances Archer said...

mmmm - oysters. i love them every way. that place will forever remind me of Mimerl - I think I took photos of it on my photos of Shreveport tour - which I lost a bunch of those somehow and need to do that around town shoot again. so glad you went!