Friday, August 8, 2008

Key Lime Love


So after my going on earlier this week about how vile chain restaurants are, Steve and I went to Outback last night. In my defense, we had a gift card that was begging to be used. I have always liked Outback, despite my dislike of chains, and consider them an exception. On our visit last night I was thrilled to see that they were offering Key Lime Pie for dessert which is one of my all time favorites. I know a lot of people that don't care for it, but I totally love it if it's made properly.

There is a place in Sandestin, Florida called Elephant Walk. It's a fabulous restaurant but when we used to vacation down there with my mom and one of her friends, we'd sit by the pool and sip Key Lime Freezes. It was not-at-all like a margarita but more of a creamy, key lime pie, frozen into a slush with a hefty shot of rum. There was another restaurant that served the most delicious Amberjack sandwiches you can imagine (a big hunk of marinated, grilled amberjack on a toasted bun with coleslaw) and I'd pick one up to go, bring it back to the Elephant Walk and sip on a Key Lime Freeze while eating my sandwich and staring at the fabulous gulf and the white sand. It just doesn't get any better than that.

When I ordered my pie, Steve was all "Hmmm I don't really care for Key Lime Pie, but you go ahead." When it got there he picked at it a bit and then is like "Hey, this is pretty good!" He liked the graham cracker and pecan crust. Steve always eats his pie backwards, starting with the crust first. He made a pretty healthy attack on the pie and believe me, it was enough for us both!

So I'll retract my disdain of chain restraurants, but only a little bit. Only for Outback. And their pie.

No comments: