Friday, July 31, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dear Blog

This blog turns one year old tomorrow, August 1! And I'm celebrating a day early because it's the weekend and I can do that.

Seriously, I wanted to take a moment from railing against health care and politics to acknowledge my little birthday and thank my blogging buddies and internet friends for their support. I've learned a lot this year.

I started my blog initially because my adult daughter had one and I'd enjoyed reading it all last summer; she encouraged me to start one of my own. I knew less than nothing about how to do any of it. I went to the store and bought Blogging for Dummies. I swear.

Initially I wasn't sure of my blog's focus and I wrote about things like my dog, my daily life, things that Steve and I did, like going to military band concerts and eating out. Mice. Day trips. Flowers. And I still do some of that, but as you know, I eventually settled into being primarily a political blog. Like the world needed another one of those.

I've made some people mad, I lost some readers over politics, and I've gained some. I've "met" some great people and I've found some terrific blogs (see my blogroll!).

Robert Stacy McCain has been indispensable. There's been a small internet war over his "Rules" this week, which I'm staying out of, but I've learned a lot from Stacy and his encouragement has been invaluable. Some may call his "Rules" silly, but I learned a lot from his words. Stacy has helped more bloggers get established and circulated than anybody I know. He's got a heart of gold. He is hands down one of the best writers I know, and he's what I like to call a "good, old-fashioned journalist" which means he knows what real reporting is and what it's all about to work in a newsroom and to have "ink in your veins" - metaphorically speaking, of course. If you're feeling charitable, click over and hit his tip jar because he needs some new shoe leather.

Speaking of tip jars, I want to thank those folks that have hit mine lately. It's encouraging to know that people enjoy what you write and support your efforts. I like to say I blog for fun, and I do, but the rattling of coins in the tip jar is encouraging! So, thanks! I won't call you by name because I don't want you on any right-wing extremist lists.

So thanks, readers, for coming back. I appreciate each and every one of you.

Happy Birthday to me!

13 comments:

WTexada said...

Your blog is well done. I have recommended it to several of my friends and whereas your political views are somewhat on the conservative side your opinions are informative and well researched.

Good job and Happy Birthday

No Sheeples Here! said...

Pat,

Congratulations on your one year blogging birthday.

You've come a long way and all the while sought to improve your content and your focus.

A wise blogger recently reminded me, "Don't let the blog be you. You be the blog."

Keep up the good work and again, congratulations to fine blogger. I wish you continued success.

Sandy said...

Well, I only found you a few months ago, but I can pretty much read what you have written politically and then say, "Yeah, what she said." Keep up the good work. Keeps me from having to research.:)

S.logan said...

Congrats, Pat! The blog world is a happier place with you in it!

Sarah said...

Congrats!! I was just telling someone the other day it's been about a year since I "met" you. I still remember this and thinking "that's why I keep getting hits from Louisiana." LOL

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=17473535&postID=2946756398992423279

Bob Belvedere said...

Happy Birthday Pat!

You wrote: '...but as you know, I eventually settled into being primarily a political blog. Like the world needed another one of those.'

You are partly correct: the world did not need another political blog that retailed in the same-old same-old boring commentary. Your's, however, is one of the few that offers fresh insights into the subjects covered.

Best of luck in the Year Two and so it goes...

yukio ngaby said...

Congratulations Pat!

Your site is always one of my favorite stops in the blogging world. Keep up the great work!

And leave it to S.logan to find the best words for the occasion, but I second her thought: "The blog world is a happier place with you in it!"

Red said...

Happy Birthday!

Pat Austin Becker said...

You guys are the best!

Mike said...

Did you get a birthday cake like Rush did for his August 1 (show) birthday?
Thanks for the good writing and good links.

snaggletoothie said...

Happy birthday. I enjoy reading your blog every day.

TNelson said...

Congrats! You've done something I've wanted to do for several years. I live in the mid-west now but am southern-born and I miss y'all. Can't take the South out of the lady right? Good job - well done!

North La Blogs said...

Pat, sorry I've been 'out of pocket' for two days and just read this.
Happy Blog Birthday!