Sunday, January 3, 2010

Terrorism Czar Says Yes to Yemen?

John Brennan is the new terrorism czar. (Side question - why do we need a "terrorism czar" when we have a Department of Homeland Security? ....oh....never mind.)

Anyway, Brennan is quoted this morning as saying that yes indeedy some Gitmo graduates will still go to Yemen:

About half of the roughly 200 detainees still held at Guantanamo Bay would be prosecuted in the United States by federal courts or military tribunals. Some would be sent to third countries, including Yemenis returned to their home nation, Brennan said.

Can we all just get on the same page, here?

Team Obama on December 12 says it's okay to send detainees to Yemen: "the government was gaining confidence in Yemen’s willingness to handle returning detainees after months of 'intense' talks under the Obama administration..."

But on January 1 the story is "A senior administration official said Thursday that Mr. Obama’s interagency team had already decided quietly several weeks ago that the security situation in Yemen was too volatile to transfer any more detainees beyond six who were sent home in December. "

Are we or aren't we?

Hello? Is anybody home?

Related Post: John O. Brennan's Philosophy on Iran

Via: Hot Air and Memeorandum


yukio ngaby said...

So let me get this straight... Even as the US and UK are closing their emabssies in Yemen due to an al Qaeda threat (a Yahoo/AP headline this morning), even as the NYT ran a story yesterday titled "Yemen’s Chaos Aids the Evolution of a Qaeda Cell," even as ABC reported that "two of the four leaders allegedly behind the al Qaeda plot to blow up a Northwest Airlines passenger jet over Detroit were released by the U.S. from the Guantanamo prison in November, 2007," Brennan is telling us all he's going to release some Gitmo terrorists back into Yemen?

Huh. Sounds like a great plan to me...

smitty1e said...

The point of Czars is to give more jobs to friends.