Sunday, October 13, 2013

F. W. Leeds: Patriot

My son and I went to the museum today; we went to the Norton Art Gallery.  The last time I was there was exactly a year ago.  I wish I could say we went because John wanted culture and refinement, but it was an extra-credit deal for his college history class.

It's a great place to go on a Sunday afternoon, or any time, really.

I saw this today:



How absolutely gorgeous is that?  (Click on the picture for a better view.)  In person, if your eyes are good, you can really read what it says.  Breathtaking.

Need more explanation?



Even better, eh?!

I love that last line:  "It is a work which is not only beautiful in its own right, but also clearly demonstrates the type of patriotism which Leeds must have felt for the still young republic."

He did this in 1844.

Patriot.

No comments: