Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Promise of Summer

The promise of summer is finally coming.

My last week of school is this week: we get out Thursday, and up until yesterday my mind has really not been focused on summer plans.  When you're return date to work is actually the last week of July summer seems somewhat shorter than in the past.  (Don't tell me anything about how teachers have "all summer" off!)

Summer always starts with Memorial Day and Steve and I stay busy with Memorial Day activities for a few days.  Then summer fun really starts with the Cross Lake Floatilla.  We had a ball last summer and are looking forward to it again this year with huge dreams of winning the poker run this year (we were darned close last year!).

This time last year I had a huge bucket list of things to do over the summer -- really heavy things like spending a day in the hammock and getting my dog microchipped.  I spent weeks dreaming up fun summer plans and taking care of things that I just can't seem to get done during the school year.  But this year there has been no bucket list.  Nothing.

Until yesterday.  Yesterday we went to the American Legion for Family Day and as I sat under the towering pines on the hill and looked over the lake it started to hit me.  Summer!  We ate hot dogs and sipped cokes, visited with friends and watched the boats.  The little kids took a ride on the 40 & 8 train and had their faces painted.  When it was over we went inside the Legion to the lounge, had a beverage, and watched the boats on the lake.

I bought my Floatilla t-shirt and that's when it finally hit me -- summer is really coming.  I woke up this morning and the bucket list items started coming.  Besides the fact that I will be spending a lot of time in the Watson Library in Natchitoches this summer, we are planning another Route 66 trip, an Iowa trip, another Rangers game, and a birthday party for the best looking kid in Texas.  I'm going to savor every moment!

There will be hammock days, yard work days, and days floating on a boat doing nothing. There are books to read and household chores to be done.  Landscaping, yard work, closet cleaning.  Scrapbooks and Smash Books to make, steaks to grill, and cold beverages to be enjoyed.  Time with friends and family.  Humid nights on the deck with the twinkly lights in the trees.  Meteor showers.  Top down days and day trips to take; fresh vegetables to be consumed and  good music on outdoor patios.  And without a doubt there will be a few surprises along the way because that's what is so great about summer:  anything can happen!

Let's get this party started!

No comments: