Sunday, March 25, 2018

Drink More Water with the Help of Metta Wella

Metta Wella: making drinking water fun again!
While nobody has ever accused me of being a tree-hugging liberal, it is probably true that I do have some tendencies that lend me to be a little bit conscientious about the planet on which I live.  I say this not only in reflection of my last post about the vanishing Louisiana coastline, but primarily in the fact that I am deliberately turning away from the disposable plastic bottle.

For the past year or so I have been working hard to break my addiction to Diet Coke.  Invariably during the teaching day that morning coffee wears off and I'd reach for the caffeine boost of a soda, thinking I was making a healthy choice since it was "diet."

Not.

So many chemicals and things I don't know what they are in that stuff...

Anyway, so I upped my morning coffee an extra cup and muscled through the day with bottled water from the vending machine instead of a soda.  When I got tired of paying $1.25 for a bottle of Dasani, I just started refilling the bottles from the fountain, thinking I was so smart and saving all this money.

Then I remembered hearing something about BPAs; when my daughter was pregnant several years ago she was very cautious about using BPA-free products, which was the first time I'd heard of that.

About this time I decided I should probably cut back a bit on the beer: the waistline and the liver are grateful.

Then one day I was emptying the trash cans around the house and the number of plastic water bottles caught my eye.  There must have been fifteen or twenty and I empty trashcans fairly often.

Long story short, I am now in the no-plastic-water-bottle camp.  I have turned now to Metta Wella for my beverage needs!

I did a little research and found that globally one million plastic bottles are bought every minute; that's about 20,000 bottles per second.  And while many communities have recycling programs (my own community included), most of these bottles do not get recycled.  And less than 10% of the plastic bottles you buy come from recycled material.  When plastic bottles are recycled they are used mostly in synthetic clothing, carpeting, plastic bags, and shipping materials, and then those end up in a landfill.  So one way or another the bottles end up in a landfill.

You can trace it on down further and find that eventually this plastic ends up in the groundwater and in the oceans and then you have another problem.

So I decided to opt out of plastic bottles when possible. I turned to Metta Wella for glass and stainless steel infuser bottles; I was attracted to this company primarily because they donate half of their profits to global clean water initiatives like The Water Project and Charity Water.

I love these bottles!  I use two of them: the first one is the double walled stainless travel bottle.  It fits my Keurig and I can fill it up with my morning coffee and know that it will stay hot as long as I need it to.  I love the bamboo exterior because I think it looks cool and it doesn't sweat or get hot when I hold it.  It also has an infuser basket so you could use it for hot or cold teas, or whatever fruit you might want to add.

Metta Wella Malawi traveler bottle

I also use this very pretty glass infuser bottle with a bamboo lid.. It is also double walled and vacuum sealed.  You can use it for both hot and cold beverages but I use it for my afternoon cold water.  I love experimenting with recipes for it, too!  This one is blueberry, raspberry, lemon, and crushed mint.  The stainless steel infuser basket can also hold tea if you wish, or perhaps herbs or spices.  The possibilities are limitless.

Metta Wella Sunday Bottle

I know I can't save the planet with a reusable bottle but at least I know I'm not adding twenty bottles a week to the local landfill and I am making a small contribution to a global clean water initiative.  I can't get that with just any water bottle. Bonus points for making drinking water fun and the personal health benefits from that!

Metta Wella also has a line of teas they offer as well as a subscription service for those.

Give this small, start-up company a try. I'm more than impressed with their product, their mission, and their service.



Disclosure: I am a member of the Metta Wella Affiliate Program.

No comments: