Sunday, July 31, 2011

Chivalry is Alive and Well

Good manners and chivalry are alive and well in Shreveport/Bossier. 

I went to a memorial service this afternoon for the mother of a dear friend.  She was obviously well loved and thought of.  I arrived early because that's just my thing.  I was about twenty minutes early and the room at the funeral home was already filling up.  As the appointed hour arrived, the pews became filled and people started lining the walls and the the back of the room.

Then the gentlemen started getting up and motioning for the ladies to come sit.  Not just the elderly ladies but all of them.  I thought, how nice!  Manners still exist!

And then I saw our Bossier Parish Schools superintendent, D.C. Machen, get up and insist an elderly gentleman take his seat.  Others followed suit.  By the time the service started, the only people that were standing were younger men. 

It was nice on two fronts; Moselle Thomas was so loved that her memorial service was standing room only, and that people still can show manners and chivalry when the need arises.

1 comment:

Tina said...

What a lovely memory for your friend to have for this sad event, and an honor to the memory of your friend's mother. And how thoughtful of you to credit your Superintendent's gracious manners even when he thought no one was looking.

I've always assumed Shreveport was a nice city, but my opinion of it is warmed by this little story.