Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Friday's Found Treasures (a Few Days Late)

Take a break from debt ceiling burnout and check out my most recent estate sale treasures.  Now that Steve is retired I'm dragging him along to estate sales and showing him what to look for.  Friday is the best day for estate sales and I'll be at work.  Saturdays are good too because prices are cut on Saturday but you run the risk of your treasure being sold already.

Anyway, in our outing last Friday I picked up two bowls.  This first one is a two-sided relish bowl and is about 5-1/2 inches across (7" if you measure across the handles.)


My best guess on its maker is that it's by Cambridge.  I think it's a Decagon pattern but I haven't been able to identify the etch.  (Obviously there are much more experienced glass collectors out there and if anyone knows, feel free to correct and inform here!)


If my identification is accurate then this little bowl dates back to the early 30s.  I love the handles...



...so detailed and Art Deco!

The other item we picked up was this Tiffin Glass Company rolled bonbon dish.  


It, too, is about 5-1/2" across and is clear in color although this photo makes it look grayish in tint.  It would date to about mid 1930s as well.

Here's the etch; I believe this one is the Flanders pattern:


and again, I love the little handles:


And finally, here's another art glass vase I picked up a couple of weeks ago.  I paid $7.00 for it.


It's about six inches tall and I think it'll be cute at Christmas holding some holly!

I think the applied decoration is neat and Milly tells me it's three layers of cased glass.  


 

You can see in this picture some of the coloring at the edge of the ruffled top:


I have no idea who made it or when but Milly assured me that it's quite old and referenced the broken pontil mark on the bottom:
She assured me I'd made a good deal!

As I've said before, part of the fun of this glass collecting thing is tracking down the background of each piece, identifying and dating it.  With some of these art glass pieces, especially, there's no sure way to know who made it although you can get to the point where you can say, "Oh!  That looks like Mount Washington!" or "That's in a Murano style!".  I'm not quite there yet.  That's why I have Milly!  She took one look at my milk glass plate and said "Oh!  That's Cambridge!"  No hesitation whatsoever.  She's good.

Anyway, that's all the pretties today.  Get back to the debt ceiling.

1 comment:

sheryl said...

beautiful!