Friday, July 8, 2011

Dismal Unemployment Numbers: No Problem! Says Plouffe - UPDATED

Mitt Romney says if David Plouffe were working for him, he'd fire him.  I probably would too, but I hope Obama doesn't.  Plouffe's continued service all but guarantees a Republican victory in 2012, as I see it.  The man is simply out of touch:

“The average American does not view the economy through the prism of GDP or unemployment rates or even monthly jobs numbers,” Plouffe said, according to Bloomberg. “People won’t vote based on the unemployment rate, they’re going to vote based on: ‘How do I feel about my own situation? Do I believe the president makes decisions based on me and my family?’ ”

The unemployment numbers out today are simply dismal.

Obama is set to speak shortly.  Expect updates here.

Update 1:  Obama is now 34 minutes late for his own press conference.  Change!

Update 2:  That was a pretty empty press conference.  My quick takes:

Obama said today's job report confirms what most American's already know; we have a long way to go.  He's said that over and over and over and it means nothing.  It makes no one feel better. 

He said we've added more than two million jobs but the recession cost us eight million.  (i.e.: I inherited this mess.) and that the economy isn't producing enough jobs. I think that's obvious.

Then he said that state and local budget cuts "have cost cops, teachers, and firefighters their jobs." And a lot of other people!  What about small business owners that he is crushing with weighty regulations?  What about businesses that are closing down and moving overseas because of your regulations? 

He said that the economic problems we face weren't created overnight (i.e.: I inherited this mess), and apparently he spends hours upon hours reading letters in which people "pour their guts out" to him.  When does he have time to read all these letters he's always talking about?  Who even writes letters anymore?

And the richest statement of all - he called upon government to "live within its means."  When did he start worrying about THAT?

He offered some blather about streamlining the patent process (how many jobs will that create?)

And with that, he was off, bolting back into the White House.  Probably to read more letters.

1 comment:

Mike Thiac said...

Pat.

Cut him some slack will you...he cancelled the Montana trip he had scheduled for this weekend...he hasn't had a vacation in what, almost a month. How can such a public servant go on without relief! :<)

PS: I'll bet a six pack he goes to the golf course this weekend!