Friday, February 13, 2009

Mardi Gras Weekend No. 1


This weekend begins our Mardi Gras festivities! Tomorrow is the Centaur parade and the Barkus and Meoux Parade is Sunday. Luckily, I have Monday off for President's Day because after being sick all week, two days of parading is definitely going to set me back!

The weather is PERFECT for the parade; tonight is warm and humid. Down by the river, the fog is rolling in. Steve and I drove to Nicky's for dinner and the Red River had a layer of fog hovering above it. Later we drove along the bayou on the way to Albertsons (had to buy a new Mardi Gras t-shirt for the Teenager to wear to work tomorrow) and the fog was a lot thicker down there.

All along the parade route people are already camped out in R-Vs, campers, tents, trucks and cars. My house is probably a mile or less from the parade route and when I took Checkers out in my backyard I could smell the wood fires burning already. By morning it will really be strong and by noon I'll smell food cooking!

We have some friends coming over for the parade. I'm cooking jambalaya and we'll walk down to the parade route whenever they close the streets, probably around 3:00. The parade starts at 4;30 downtown and will be at least 7 or 7:30 before it gets to our end.

Sunday we'll go down to the Riverfront and look at all the creatures in the dog/cat parade! Then next weekend we'll do it all over again with the Gemini parade and then the Highland parade - which I LOVE!

No comments: