Monday, January 17, 2011

Standing With Surber

Don Surber has a fine rant over at his place which has now been linked to by many in the blogosphere, but if you've missed it, go check it out.

On this whole idea of civil discourse, I think Surber makes a valid point.  It's important, however, not to lower ourselves to the lying, fabricating and malingering that has been the Rules for the Radical Left for some time now, led primarily, I would point out, by their president who encouraged his supporters to "get in their faces":



 But NOW they want "civil discourse."  Now they want to break years of Congressional tradition and sit in a bipartisan fashion at the State of the Union address.  Senator Mark Udall says the tradition promotes division:

Udall, and his letter's cosigners suggest that "partisan seating arrangements at State of the Union addresses serve to symbolize division instead of the common challenges we face in securing a strong future for the United States" and further that "the choreographed standing and clapping of one side of the room -- while the other side sits -- is unbecoming of a serious institution."

Bovine Excrement.

It has been suggested that they only reason the Democrats want to change the seating arrangement is because they are now so outnumbered by the Republicans and they don't want it to look so obvious. 

This is not the time to hold hands and sing "Kumbaya" in Congress.  Symbolic gesture or not, I frankly don't care if they "work together" or not as long as this "obamination" that is Obamacare gets repealed and replaced.  The big spending must end; the ridiculous stimulus plans and bail outs must end.  The irresponsible decision making must end.  Save your moral equivalence arguments; I'm not saying Bush did everything right either.  He certainly did not.

Civil discourse?  What brought that on, anyway?  Tucson?  That guy didn't bring a gun to that meeting because of political discourse!  He was NUTS.  Period.  What set him off?  Did Sarah Palin's PAC set him off?  I don't think so. 

No, polite civil discourse is fine and dandy but don't tell me to shut up when you've just stripped me of my rights, imposed crippling new taxes from every direction, tried to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine, participated in inflammatory rhetoric yourself ("bring a gun to a knife fight!"), taken over private industry, frittered away my tax dollars on nonsense like turtle tunnels, insulted long standing American allies, jeopardized American national security, and insulted my own views. 

I'm with Surber.  Take your civil discourse and screw it.

1 comment:

Zilla said...

Amen, sister! I shared the same sentiment over at my place on Saturday, but in far less kinder words. (I was a little hot at the time.) I'm going to share your post at that political information page I run on facebook, many there feel exactly the same way.