Monday, March 16, 2009

"Choked with Anger"? You Bet I Am.

Update: 3/19/09: Obama pulls back on this one. After two meetings with veterans groups and a huge public outcry, the decides this wasn't such a good idea.

"I'm choked up with anger here," said Barack Obama today. He was, of course, referring to the AIG bonuses which Geithner didn't catch when he helped negotiate the deal. But that's another story.

I'm choked up with anger too, about the AIG deal, yes, but more so about this; I continue to be enraged by Obama's commitment to the idea of forcing our veterans to pay for service related injuries with their own private insurance. The whole issue makes my ears bleed. I can't believe what I'm hearing.

I feell like I'm in a bad movie on this one. How can he SUGGEST such a thing? Only a man who had never served his country would even dream of it, but one with any sense at all would never suggest it. As a country we have a moral obligation to take care of these soldiers.

I'm not alone in my outrage. Commander David K. Rehbein of The American Legion met with Obama today to discuss the issue. He left the meeting "deeply disappointed and concerned" over what he heard.

"It became apparent during our discussion today that the President intends to move forward with this unreasonable plan. He says he is looking to generate $540-million by this method, but refused to hear arguments about the moral and government-avowed obligations that would be compromised by it."

He added: "This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate ' to care for him who shall have borne the battle' given that the United States government sent members of the armed forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies."

Besides the moral outrage that comes with this, who in their right mind would enlist to serve and protect this country anymore knowing that their country, or rather their commander-in-chief, does not support them? What insurance company would cover these soldiers knowing the risk that might entail? And what of their families?

My father served in WWII; I feel like this is a slap in the face to him, even though he died 20 years ago and suffered no permanent service related injuries (he broke his back in a parachute exercise, but recovered.) My fiance served as well, and although he suffered no service related injuries either, the fact remains that this is a slap in the face to everyone serving or who has served. What of the morale of those that are currently serving? I bet this make them feel all warm and fuzzy.

I'll say it again, you jerk! You sad sack of a human being.

No comments: