Sunday, March 1, 2009

Salad Days


A couple of weeks ago when Steve and I went to the Centaur Parade, my friend Harriett had this wonderful salad. She had lots of other food too, but this was a wonderful cabbage salad, an alternative to the ubiquitous coleslaw. I ate two servings!

The second week, when we went back for the Gemini Parade, Harriett gave me the recipe for her salad. I went right to the store and picked up the ingredients the next day. I thought, this will be a nice little salad for us to have one night at dinner!

I was not thinking, nor was I paying any attention to the recipe. It calls for 1 medium head of cabbage, chopped. I did not buy the biggest cabbage in the store, I swear. I guess "medium" is a relative term, but now I have enough salad to feed the entire neighborhood. Salad for days. Tons of salad. Whole new meaning to the term "salad days."

In case you would like the recipe, and lots of salad, here is Harriett's Top Ramen Salad:

1 medium cabbage, chopped
4 green onions, chopped (or one regular sweet onion)
3/4 c. vegetable oil
4 T. sugar
6 T. Rice vinegar (or balsamic)
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
4 T. sesame seeds (optional)
2 pkgs, chicken Ramen
4 t. slivered almonds (optional)

Mix cabbage and onions overnight. Seal well.
Combine oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and seasoning from Ramen. Stir and add to cabbage.
Toss with crunched Ramen noodles and other optional ingredients one or two hours before serving.
Also optional - diced chicken.

Serves 8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had two big servings today. I like cabbage served in various forms (even sauerkraut with bratwurst) Must be those German genes.
One day, I am hoping for sweet and sour red cabbage. YUM!
It goes great with jagerschnitzel, German fried potatoes,spaetzle, and a large bier!
I think it will go great with mashed potatoes and meatloaf, too, Pat.