Friday, August 15, 2008

Explore Monticello


Ever since I saw the John Adams mini-series I developed an intense interest in both Adams and Jefferson. I went back, after the movie, and read books on both men and learned a lot about both of them. Adams was probably under appreciated I have decided. I admire how he stuck to his principles, specifically by not giving into pressure and refusing to cave into party politics just to get elected. Jefferson was "an odd duck" as my mother might say, yet very interesting. I was quick to dismiss him as hypocritical for denouncing slavery yet owning over 300, but I think there's more to him than that. I have decided that he was brilliant. Have you read the Declaration of Independence lately? I suggest everyone watch at least some, if not all, of this mini-series before you vote in November.

At any rate, this site is great. You can go there and learn about Jefferson, his life, his times, his gardens, his homes; you can take virtual tours, you can access the Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia, read all of Jefferson's writings; you can even buy seeds from the Monticello gardens (which I did this spring)! There are even special pages for teachers to use in their classrooms. I can spend hours on this site. Check it out!

(Photo credit: Monticello.org)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We, today's generation, have the luxury of viewing historical events after the fact, while we sit in comfort and safety with the protection of the Constitution.
The brave men who signed the Declaration of Independence had no idea how the events they put into motion, by the stroke of their quill pens, would play out.
In essence the men basically wrote a suicide note, had them been caught by the British. Many of these men lost their fortunes, some lost their families, even their lives, in order to create one of the greatest nations and societies (regardless of our faults)on the face of the earth.
From that time, millions of men and women have sacrificed blood, sweat and tears (and some their lives)to keep the dreams of the signers of the Declaration of Independence alive.
(There is a saying about those who served this county, "All gave some, Some gave all."
We, as citizens in this country, need to remember the sacrifices and chose carefully who we place in leadership of this country, or we have let those sacrifices be made in vain.