Saturday, August 30, 2008

Opening Day!


LSU opens its season today against Appalachian State. The 4pm game was moved to 10 a.m. because of incoming Hurricane Gustav, and will be broadcast on ESPN Classic.

I love LSU football and come from a long tradition of LSU football lovers. My dad never missed it. I did not actually go to an LSU game until I was grown; I think I was about 26 or so, but I'll NEVER, EVER forget the first time I walked into Death Valley. There are almost no words for that first experience. The whole experience was fantastic: the crowds, the smells of the food being prepeared by the tailgaters, the friendly, jovial, intoxicating atmosphere. The band marching through the streets to the stadium was thrilling. The stadium itself reminding me of the Roman Coliseum; inside, the crowds moving like cattle to their seats. But then, coming through the little tunnel from underneath the seats INTO the stadium absolutely took my breath away. That first sighting of the field - a huge expanse of brilliant green grass, the brilliant lights, the band on the field in performance, and the crowds. OMG the crowds. Every single seat was filled and everyone was moving and yelling and wearing purple and gold. For a newbie, a novice, it was quite breath-taking. And I was hooked. So I'm putting out my LSU flag today, maybe making some gumbo, (even though it is 95 degrees today) and getting ready for some football!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I made my yearly, obligatory UGA post today too! My "yankee" friends don't get it, but it's such a way of life to me...seems that way for you too!

Pat Austin Becker said...

I'm ready for fall football! My Tigers trounced them today, too. I did, in fact, make gumbo (an all morning procedure) which was awesome. I have however, not yet, mailed BN; I know, I am a slug. It is sitting right here on the table by the front door ready to go as soon as I can remember to pick it up and walk it to the mailbox. Which I will for sure to first thing tomorrow, even though it is Sunday.

Sarah said...

Congrats - Georgia won too, but I expected them to against Georgia Southern. Are you an NFL fan too? I get way too into that! The UGA stuff I was born into, I guess. There's nothing like it.

I have never had gumbo...

no hurry on the CD! I just appreciate that you're going to the trouble!

Mary Frances Archer said...

we have LSU neighbors down the street that have a giant blow up in their yard of an LSU tiger - always reminds me of home and you guys. :)