Sunday, August 17, 2008

I Want Your Zip Code!


Cops have the funniest stories sometimes. I know this because I've been dating one for five years. Last week I was reminded of one of Steve's "cop stories" when I got pulled over for an expired inspection sticker. Yes, I was guilty, I had procrastinated and not gotten it done. I was driving along, under the speed limit, safely buckled in, NOT talking on my cell phone, minding my own business and there you go. Bam. Flashing lights in the rear view mirror. Damn. I pulled over and I'm all "You're not seriously going to give me a ticket are you? If I name drop will that HELP?" No ma'am. I dropped Steve's name and rank and he's all, "You can call who ever you want to call and see if they want to help you but I'm giving you this ticket." Seriously?

And all I could think about was to ask him for his zip code. Years ago Steve pulled over a couple to issue a WARNING ticket - not a REAL ticket, just a warning about a busted light. The gentleman got out of the car all nice and polite and Steve explains the deal to him. Everything's cool until the guy's wife comes flying out of the car ranting and raving at Steve. Steve tells the guy, "Sir, you need to get your wife back in the car." The guy is all "I'm sorry, she just got out of the hospital and she's not well." (Really?!) Steve says, "Sir, you have to get your wife back in the car before this gets out of control." She's yelling and ranting at Steve, "I want your ZIP CODE! I want your ZIP CODE!" Steve looks at the guy, looks at her, and says "Seven eleven twelve, now get back in the car!" And she did. I guess she wanted to send him a Christmas card.

So after my new friend writes up the ticket for my inspection sticker, I thought, "I should have gotten his zip code. "

(Image credit: Discovery Education's Clip Art Gallery: Mark A. Hicks)

No comments: