Saturday, June 20, 2009

On Arrogance, Liberals, and Iran


Steve and I went on a little road trip this morning but I was glued to Twitter on my iPhone the entire time. I can not stop watching coverage on Iran. I feel like I'm watching history unfold. I'm pulling for these people and in total awe and admiration of their courage.

So allow me to vent for a second and say that I have looked at my LAST liberal blog (I try to look at angles other than my own, believe it or not) in discussion of Iran. I just stumbled on to one that said they were sick of the constant coverage of Iran elections, even calling into question what the "American media" is showing them.

Baby, the coverage I'M seeing is not from the American media, it's from brave Iranians with cell phones and video cameras risking their lives to plead for help from the rest of the world. You say that America is bullying other nations, like Iran, to be just like us because we are so arrogant? And that Obama is absolutely correct in going out for ice cream and keeping his mouth shut on Iran because it's none of our business? None of our business?! Really?!

I'm unglued and undone. I cannot fathom such ignorance.

It's never a good idea to blog when you're so angry and pardon me for not linking to the blog, but I don't want to give them any more traffic than they already have.

This person accused America of bullying other nations to be like us. Let me assume, please, that the people in this photograph have not been "bullied" by America. It's quite possible that they want freedom on their own merits. It's quite possible that the women in Iran would like the freedom to go out in public, to speak to friends without fear of being stoned to death, to have productive and satisfying jobs and any number of other things that you take for granted in your sheltered and privileged life every single day. Why do you think many of their signs are in English? They WANT the world to hear them.

How dare you say you love America yet condemn the very ideals that make us what we are? I suggest you follow the lead of Gwynneth Paltrow and Johnny Depp and move to Europe - become an ex-patriot - if you think we are so evil and such bullies, but don't sit HERE and tell me you love America when all you do is codemn it at every chance.

Obama's reservation in speaking out against what his advisors are telling him about Iran (because I doubt he's watching it) is not wise or astute or intelligent. He's in over his head, he has no clue and no sense of history. If he wanted to, he could support these people crying for freedom. He still thinks this is about an election. It quit being about an election over a week ago.

Obama continuing to express a desire to talk with an Iranian regime that is currently murdering people in the streets and pouring tear gas on them from helicopters is nothing but incredible and disgraceful. Nothing less. Nothing.

So to you libs that feel that if we just open our hands to this Iranian regime that continues to stone women in public, murder people in the street, take students hostage, and slam the door on all these Iranians crying for freedom...shame on you.

I'll say it again; I long for a president who will stand up to these thugs and say this:

All who live in tyranny and hopelessness can know: the United States will not ignore your oppression, or excuse your oppressors. When you stand for your liberty, we will stand with you.

Democratic reformers facing repression, prison, or exile can know: America sees you for who you are: the future leaders of your free country.

The rulers of outlaw regimes can know that we still believe as Abraham Lincoln did: “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves; and, under the rule of a just God, cannot long retain it.”

The leaders of governments with long habits of control need to know: To serve your people you must learn to trust them. Start on this journey of progress and justice, and America will walk at your side.

5 comments:

G.R. said...

The revolution that is unfolding in Iran has been years in the making. Most of the people protesting weren't even around in 1979 when the radical clerics took control after the overthrow of the shah. Then the radical clerics, I'm sure, controlled what the people heard from the West.
Besides, most of the people who are holding support protests are Iranians who fled Iran. And other than the big bully United States, bigger protests are being held in France, Germany, and other countries. IT'S NOT JUST AMERICA.
Hell, we have a president who thinks it just a vigorous debate going on over there.
And just think about this, France is showing more balls than the U.S. in support of people seeking FREEDOM!

Anonymous said...

I am what you would call a 'lib' in such a derisive way. Your ax is showing... You are fighting a cartoon version of a projection in your head. There are idiots on the left and on the right. That much is obvious, you seem to be of the right wing variety.

I'm as liberal as they come and have been up for four nights straight working to support iranians in substantive ways not just posing in cowboy fashion as so many of your stripe are doing.

What have you done today for the Iranian people beside whine about 'libs' on a blog? People like you need to recognize your twin in Khameini - you demonize those that don't see the world exactly as you do.

Do some homework on Iran, and LISTEN TO IRANIANS and you will know why Obama has taken the stance he has.

Play cowboy with someone else's life. Or enlist maybe. Get your rocks off that way.

Anonymous2 said...

Anonymous said, "Play cowboy with someone else's life. Or enlist maybe. Get your rocks off that way."


First of all you say you stayed up four straight nights doing something substansive, but you didn't say what you did.
As for me, I did something like enlist. I spent 26 1/2 years in the Army. And during those years I spent more than just 4 nights staying up doing something substansive.
I was never a combat soldier, but I stayed up more than four nights, supporting combat soldiers who were "playing cowboy" with their own lives. And I know several guys who will never come back from "playing cowboy".
What have you done? You said it was substansive and it took four nights to do it, but you didn't say what it was.
I am not going to make any judgement on you, because I don't know you or what you have done. So don't judge others.
Besides, I don't think the Constitution says that a person has to do certain things in their life to earn the right to speak freely. If it does, will you be kind enough to share if you find that clause?

G.R. said...

Why is it that most liberals who can't get their point across in a coherent manner make personal attacks against the person to whom they are addressing?
I find a part of Anonymous' statement a little strange.
Anonymous said, "I'm as liberal as they come and have been up for four nights straight."
Maybe you better go to a doctor. He maybe able to so something about your insomnia, but I don't think he can cure your liberalism. That's something you'll have to do by yourself.
But then, maybe your liberalism is the cause of your insomnia.

Red said...

Typical rabid Lib response. Probably up four nights in a row from drinking all that magic Obamaid. He or she was tweaking at the time of said post. Barry's silence speaks volumes and yes, it is amazing and historically uncharacteristic how quickly France seems to have grown a pair. For shame Barry, for shame.