Sunday, June 28, 2009

Will Hurricane Chris Eventually be President?

Update: So sorry. Link to Pundette is fixed.

I'm sure you've seen this video by now. Maybe not, if you live outside of Louisiana, but seriously people, this is our Louisiana legislature. It's only two minutes - take a quick look. I don't think you have to watch all of it.



The backstory on this is that this kid, rapper Hurricane Chris, is the godson of Barbara Norton (D-Shreveport) and this occurred on the last day before the session ended. She introduced him as a role model. Hmm. Here are some of the lyrics to the "song":

Well let's get ratchet
Let's get ratchet
Look at her prettier then Halle and thicker than Janet
She say she like all of my club bangers I be jamming
Told her to bust it open let me see what's really happnin
She the ship and I'm the captain
I'm tha captain
Booty bigger than the pus

And I'm all the way in your city
I'm from louisianna so you gotta show me how your
City do it for that camera
Make it drop and bring it back to the top
You no amateur
Girl you can give it to me it ain't nothing I can't handle
She just got out of the shower smellin like a scented candle
And I'm finna finna?
Sliding off tha mattress
No moving no acting baby this is real action
Beat it up so bad
You be scared to walk past me
I know your halle berry
Baby there's no acting
I beat it up so bad
You be scared to walk past me for real

It goes on from there for a while, and that's the clean version. The video of his legislative performance (the 9 minute version) has been on The Dead Pelican for days and has been spreading around the internet. Barbara Norton, for her part, is pretty proud of this. She said, "I'm excited to know that Louisiana is putting something on the internet that's positive because there are so many things on the internet and we're on the bottom," whatever that means.

She introduced him on the floor by saying, "I want to introduce to all to a young man who I think is doing great work throughout this country in the area of music." Great work? She goes on, "I'm very proud of Hurricane Chris who is my godson...I'm just sound proud of him...when he was 10 years old he was singin' and was probably singin' before then." "He's gonna come down for just a minute or two and give you all just a second or two of Halle Barry's record, She's Fine, and I know you all like that, mens know about fine because you do it all the time so anyways don't act like you ain't never heard of it."

Then she leads the young wordsmith to the podium, a Proclamation is read, and Chris speaks.

"I 'preciate y'all for bringin' me out today, I wanna gi' y'all a taste of one of my new songs just in case y'all ain't familiar wit' me, I'm gonna getcha familiar wit me." Then he speaks to the legislature about categorizing women, about beautiful women, and about having confidence, which he does not lack.

I'd have paid good money to see the camera pan out to the faces of the legislators as this went on.

Look, I know it takes all kinds. I get it. I know some people like this music - the song is No. 5 right now, so somebody likes it. But I can't help but feel like it's words and lyrics like this that are dragging our culture down today and have helped lead us to the total Godless, amoral, self-centered culture we live in today. I have a teenager that loves this mess

Pundette wrote yesterday about being disgusted. I totally feel her pain. She wrote about Beyonce and how Michelle Obama said she was a great role model for young girls. I don't know a whole lot about Beyonce, and I can't really say if she's a role model or not. My feeling is that she's not as bad as some others but how relative is that? How bad do you have to be to be bad. And hey, now, "bad" means "good." It's a good thing to be "Bad!" As in, "I'm BAD, man." That's good.

*Sigh*

Our celebrity worship culture has led us to this (which is another point Pundette makes). We elected a cool, celebrity president who is in turn leading us into ruin. I'm not being hyperbolic here, I don't think. It's clear to me that he's ramming health care reform, climate reform, financial reform, etc. etc., through as fast as he can because he figures by 2010 the Kool Aid might have worn off and it will be more difficult to do after the mid-term elections. I'm sure immigration reform is next on the agenda.

But hey, he's cool, suave, young and hip. He has a dog and two kids and looks debonairre in a suit (so they say). Like many young liberals, he thinks America needs to be apologized for and we need to be like the Europeans, who are cool. And he was so much better than the old, white guy.

I don't want to insult people - I know some liberals voted for him because they think his policies are valid. Not everyone voted on the cool factor. I was reminded during the campaign when I railed against him daily that some voters have done their research and sincerely believe that his policies are the best. I'm obviously not one of them.

Back to Hurricane Chris. We're down here celebrating a young man who sings about "gettin' ratchet" and ... well, I can't even print the lyrics he sings. I know parents have been protesting the idols of their teenagers since time began (the Beatles and Elvis were going to be the ruination of society, remember?) but seriously, how much lower can we go? How much longer before Hurricane Chris is president?

Our country is in serious trouble. People that read this blog already know that or you wouldn't be here. I'm preaching to the choir. I get the occassional liberal commenter who disagrees with me, but I've given up on changing their views. They are dead set that global warming is ruining the planet, that Obama IS cool, that inviting dictators to tea IS the path to world peace and that we need to be buying bottled water for Africans and stop worrying about about ourselves so much because we are just arrogant and egocentric.

I'm going to quote Bride of Rove here, because she had a great post that summed up how I felt right after the Cap ' n Tax vote.

You think Republicans lie? This guy is the king of all liars. Did you hear his speech the other day on how he was a great believer in Capitalism and a free market system? I damn near wrecked the car I was laughing so hard. He had just taken over two car manufacturers and refused to allow several banks to pay off the TARP money so they could get out from under the Govt’s thumb and announces a pay czar to decide how much everyone will be allowed to earn. It was beautiful....

If I did not have kids or any responsibilities I would be loving every minute of this. I would enjoy what I know is coming down the road because whether you voted for him or not, you’re not escaping this horror. Every idiot who thought he was going to pay their mortgage and buy their gas and they would not have to work and their taxes would not go up - they are in for the shock of their lives. What kind of moron believes a politician’s promises like that? Hey. That Iranian President at least gave everyone a potato - before he shot them.

Enough doom and gloom. Hurricane Chris and all the others can just go rot for all I care. And sitting here in this funk is not going to do anything to turn this train wreck around. I just hope that there's enough of this country left to save after we vote Obama out. The changes he's making are irreversable. It'll be very difficult to undo Obamacare.

Chin up. Remember the words of John Paul Jones who would not accept the British demands for surrender and said, "I have not yet begun to fight!" We've got to keep protesting, contacting legislators, finding strong candidates to put out there, talking about the things that made this country great, and remind people what it could be before we have to remind them about what it was.

Here is my anti-Hurricane Chris song to cheer you up:

2 comments:

G.R. said...

Let's see. Barbara Norton. Is this the same Barbara Norton who has run for just about every office from city council, parish commission, school board, maybe state senate, and God knows how many times for state house of representatives, before she finally won, only because she ran against someone who was a bigger loser than her. At least she knows the term if at first you don't succeed.
Is this the same Barbara Norton who tried to introduce legislation to ban corporal punishment in Louisiana schools, because it was an "embarrassment to the state?"
Does she actually think punishing unruly kids in school is embarrassing. But having people actually laughing at this state's legislature for having rap singer mumbling like an imbecile before it isn't?
Isn't it time to get Louisiana out of the laughing stock category, which we've been for years? We've already had Huey Long and his brother Earl. We've had Edwin Edwards, three insurance commissioners in a succession, and God knows how many other state and local "leaders" end up in prison for corruption. Talking about embarrassing, I still can't get that horrible picture out of my mind when a former State Senator, now Public Service Commission who represents North Louisiana, singing his speech on the floor of the Senate to the tune of "Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey". How about a current State Senator who forgot her Sugar Bowl tickets at her home near Shreveport and had the state police relay those tickets to her in New Orleans.
I mean come on, we already look stupid enough. So come on Barbara, let's not give the rest of the country any more ammo to use against us.

BrideOfRove said...

That is just an amazing video - and he was totally serious. We could have used that show during the Cap & Trade debates. It's not like any of them were going to actually read the bill they were passing so they looked like complete idiots anyway. If our legislatures are going to be absurd I say go for it full tilt. Stop pretending you are anything but bad entertainers. I give this two thumbs up for honesty. The business of running Louisiana be damned. ;-) Some legislators kid wants the microphone to rap.
.
You do realize tax payers are paying her to stage her son's show, for the electricity, someone to man the sound system, the videographer, and veryone there is on the tax payer dime watching it. They just don't care. It's not their money. They have no respect for the voters who put them in office. Amazing.