Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Back to Regularly Scheduled Programming


Now that Gustav has settled itself into a nice, relaxing rain, I'm anxious to get back to the Republican National Convention. I watched Laura Bush and Cindy McCain last night and could not help but think what a class act they both are. As of last night, of course, the RNC had put "Country First" and the ladies made pleas for support for hurricane affected areas. I look forward to hearing more from Mrs. McCain as the convention and the campaign progress. I think she has been so understated in her accomplishments (although maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention). I knew about her adopting a child from Mother Teresa's orphanage but I did not know she founded the American Voluntary Medical Team. She's involved with more charities than I can list here. She's quite accomplished and real first lady material (yes, I know about her drug addiction/treatment; that just puts her in line with lots of today's coveted celebrities as far as I'm concerned. She got treatment and the courage THAT took can't be discounted. Ask Betty Ford).

Laura Bush has been a total class act in my mind. I love her sweet expression and her kindness. I like the issues she chose (literacy, education, children) to focus in on as first lady. I loved watching the Jenna Bush wedding coverage. I like Laura. Plus, my neice kind of said something to the effect that Laura fits our stereotypical, comfortable perception of first lady, and that's true. She wasn't in there trying to reform national agendas or stepping outside "her place" as first lady.

As for the other lady in the Republican convention, Palin, I knew it wouldn't take long for the dogs to dig up drek, but I think she will come through. If the worst they can find is a drunk driving charge from 22 years ago on her husband, that just tells me that they are digging waaayyyy toooo deep. While you lose a lot of privacy as a candidate, I still think the situation with her daughter should be kept private and as a family matter. The Clinton's demanded (and received) privacy for Chelsea; the Obama's have put their kids on magazine covers and Inside Edition; if the Palins request privacy, they should get it. I don't think this makes Palin hypocritcal at all. I think she will survive this and I so look forward to her speech at the RNC! Bring it on!

(Photo credit: CSMonitor.com Mary Knox Merrill/Staff)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As for me, I admire a First Lady who acts like a lady and doesn't act like she was elected to the office.
As for Sarah Palin's seventeen year old daughter. So what if she's pregnant and unmarried. What does that have to do with Mrs. Palin? Hasn't the "progressives" been preaching all these years that things like that didn't matter?
What about the hype of how wonderful it was that Jamie Spears was pregnant and unmarried?
How soon they forget.

Stacy S. said...

"Anonymous"- How soon who forgets? Who are you implying celebrated Jamie Spears pregnancy? I personally don't know anyone who did, Democrat or Republican.