Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Unsavory Politics


I was trying to sort of drift away from politics a little bit; last night I was too exhausted to post anything of relevance, politics or not. I'd had a couple of comments that my blog was more interesting when it was funny and not about politics but I really just write what is on my mind at the time.

At any rate, the campaign is sort of on my mind a little bit tonight. I'm thinking Peggy Noonan was right about the campaign getting ugly (not that it wasn't already). Case in point: the Wall Street Journal is reporting that the Democrats have "airdropped a mini-army of 30 lawyers, investigators and opposition researchers" into Alaska in search of information on Sarah Palin. I suspect it is dirt they are trying to dig up, but I'll withhold judgment on that one for now. It is certainly fair that we are well informed about our candidates.

Another case in point: I watched Part 3 of Bill O'Reilly's interview with Obama (I did not watch the first two parts). I find Bill OReilly bombastic a lot of the time and overbearing. However, he asked Obama tonight about his associations with Wright, Resko and Ayers, making the point that there are a lot of unsavory folks in his circle of friends. Despite Obama's disclaimers, I find it just hard to swallow that he never heard Wright say anything that inflamatory in TWENTY years. With regard to Ayers, Obama is sticking to his talking points that he was 8 when Ayers bombed the Pentagon and therefore it has nothing to do with him. He said that Ayers was working with Mayor Daly at the time Obama met him and doing some good work in the community. In other words, I don't care what he did in his past, he's not doing it now. As if the amount of time between bombing the Pentagon and now makes it a less reprehensable act. It does not. What bothers me most about that is that Obama is, by this explanation, sticking by his association with Ayers, which I still find disturbing.

I'm not even going to touch his quote today: "You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig." I heard his explanation, dismissing it as a reference to McCain's statement about Hillary's health care plan, and I find that explanation paper thin. It's clearly an insulting reference to Palin and a comment which I find to be beneath him.

And finally, in Vanity Fair this week they priced out the outfits of Laura and Cindy from the convention. Give me a break. I cancelled my VF subscription ages ago because of their blatant liberalism and their hatred and disrespect for the President, but certainly they can find something more worthwhile to report than how much Cindy spent on her watch. WHY do they care if she inherited money from her father? How is that her fault and a reason to disparage her? Hasn't she done enough humanitarian work to atone for her sins of inheritance? If you are interested, here's what they spent:

Laura Bush
Oscar de la Renta suit: $2,500
Stuart Weitzman heels: $325
Pearl stud earrings: $600–$1,500
Total: Between $3,425 and $4,325

Cindy McCain
Oscar de la Renta dress: $3,000
Chanel J12 White Ceramic Watch: $4,500
Three-carat diamond earrings: $280,000
Four-strand pearl necklace: $11,000–$25,000
Shoes, designer unknown: $600
Total: Between $299,100 and $313,100

Of course, those are just estimates. From a liberal rag. But anyway.

As I said, I think Noonan was right earlier this week in her WSJ column and I really wish folks would just stick to the issues. And before you get all defensive on me, I mean BOTH sides. Just stick to the issues. The American people deserve that.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Thank you! I saw that about Cindy McCain's outfit a few days ago and I couldn't believe it! It was another "top story" on the AOL welcome screen too! That's nearly as dumb as the "number of houses" thing...I was unaware the dems were so anti-prosperity. Another theme Obama danced all around in the O'Reilly interview.

Sarah said...

BTW - I like your political posts!! Eventually the election will be over and we'll all move on to something else but I see nothing wrong with a series of them right now! Everyone is passionate about the election right now...on both sides.

Pat Austin Becker said...

Every day there's a new gaffe by somebody to laugh at; Obama was right when he said this is the "silly season" of politics. They are all running on fumes about now. I can't WAIT for the debates!

Trixie said...

Pat,

I agree with Sarah (not palin, but the commenter sarah on your blog)...its election time, and politics are interesting. Its when folks like us (not mainstream media, but real folks) can come together and discuss these things that change (not necessarily in an Obama way) can happen. So, please dont let the politics go. Just remember, though, this is YOUR blog and no one elses. (so, if you dont want to listen to my plea to keep politics, you dont have to either). :)

Also, I do agree that this whole season has just become silly on BOTH sides. This lipstick gaffe? please...lets get to something substantive. Even your vp pick, palin, has said to drop the sexism and underdog complaints. Lets all get to the real issues, thats how I feel!

What Laura and Cindy wore? I saw that too...how stupid. I agree with you that it was a waste of time and media coverage. I dont care what they wore. Just as I dont, and didnt at the time, care how much money John Edwards spent on hair cuts. Its just petty.

Hope you are doing well, and I look forward to more dialog....:)

luculent
web-justice.blogspot.com

Pat Austin Becker said...

I guess between silly lipstick and pigs and silly fashion critiques there just must not be much to report on our presidential candidates! It's as if McCain were not even running, what with all the Palin hoop-la. Bring on the debates!