Thursday, September 4, 2008

Celebrity Worship



I have a lot of friends who are more tuned into celebrity-worship than I am so I am appealing to you for an answer. In this article we have the lovely Annette Bening coming down on Palin. That's fine - that's her right. I don't care. What just GETS me is why celebrities think they are more relevant than anyone else when it comes to politics just because they are famous?

Back in the "golden era" of Hollywood, when you were under contract to a studio, you did NOT discuss your politics in public and your dirty laundry personal life was also private. Actually, your private life was pretty much managed and manufactured by the studio. Times are different, celebs own their own studios and can do what they want.

I do NOT deny their right to express their opinion. Of course they can, just as I can. It's just when they get all preachy that gets under my skin. Johnny Depp comes to mind. I used to really like Johnny Depp's movies, but he got all "I hate America and I can't stand to come to America I'm going to stay in Europe until we have politicians in power that I can stand" on everybody. Gwynneth? You hate America? Fine. Stay in Europe. Shut up already.

It's not just politics. I mean I loved Tom Cruise. But he lost me long before he jumped on The Oprah's couch. Now I can't even stand to look at him. I mean, the way he tried to shut down SouthPark because he didn't like their Scientology episode....good grief. Get a grip.

There's a point when we know too much about celebrities. There is a point where it begins to damage their careers. I mean, Tom Hanks? John Travolta? They are just as political or Scientologized as others but they keep it to themselves for the most part. And I love their work. I do not care if LiLo and Sam Ronson are holding hands. Their business. I do not care if Britney is wearing underwear for crying out loud. But folks like Cruise and Depp and Gwynnie - I can't separate their work from their opinions anymore.

Do I just not GET the whole celeb thing?

9 comments:

Nikki said...

I think some celebs are just more outspoken than others. The beauty of this country is everyone has the right to express their views. Celebrities aren't the only ones who get preachy or share their views; their voices are just in the limelight because they are famous - and yes, many of them use that to their advantage. Honestly, though, can you blame them for using that spotlight to express something they are passionate about? I'm not saying they should do it, but I can see it from their perspective.

Trixie said...

i think nikki hit something...its not that celebrities are being preachy, I think its just that they have a forum to speak to with millions that listen. Its similar to our blogs. if we had a million hits per day, we would feel more obligated to be more out spoken, I think....

but I do wish we could go back to the days where celebrity lives were private, and we didnt have to know so much about them. but then again, what would happen to perez if that happened? yikes!

Mary Frances Archer said...

you get overkill b/c once they speak - its all over your news, internet, radio, magazine stand at the supermarket - i don't think they want to be heard that much even.

Pat Austin Becker said...

I guess. But I still think there is a line between preachy and just being famous and having an opinion. Depp is preachy. So is Gwynneth. My problem is when it crosses over and makes me not even want to watch them. Maybe it's no accident that it's because they are liberals that I feel like that, I don't know. I'll see if I can think of a Republican that is preachy.

Trixie said...

a republican that is preachy?? thats too easy!!!

bill o'reilly
charlton heston
bo derek
clint eastwood
ARNOLD Schwarzenegger
Jessie Ventura (though he claims to be independent, I think)
Chuck Norris
FRED THOMPSON

luculent
web-justice.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

When I, average American speaks, I have no forum; therefore, my opinion is heard by whomever I am talking to.
I don't mind celebs speaking their mind, it's their right that I helped to defend for over 26 1/2 years.
If a celeb says something that the media over hears and reports, oh well.
What I have a problem with are the media and celebs setting up interviews with the sole intention of making political statements while making it sound like we're just here to have a chat about little ole' me.
I have a problem with celebs, in the middle of their performances that people pay to go see, go off on a political rant, ala Linda Ronstadt, Barbara Streisand, The Dixie Chicks, Bono and the list goes on.
I have a problem with celebs who trash this country, come back to make a movie in this country, then leaves after the movie is completed, and return to trashing this country. That is hypocracy.
To me they are saying, "I hate America, I love the money America gives me, But I hate America."

Pat Austin Becker said...

I meant a Republican celebrity; I expect AH-nold to be preachy because that's his job! And Bill O., also his job. Haven't heard from Bo in a long time or Clint, although he is a pseudo-politician so it's sorta his job; Heston is dead and Ventura is irrelevant.

Seems most of the preachy celebs are liberals?

Mary Frances Archer said...

most celebs are liberals b/c they can afford to be ;) its a romanticized thing b/c its extreme - rarely can one that is not wealthy really be liberal easily. i'm not a fan of "extreme" anything b/c it rarely works due to its lack of realism. i loooove clooney but i find him hypocritical when its convenient for him, etc.

Pat Austin Becker said...

"you get overkill b/c once they speak - its all over your news, internet, radio, magazine stand at the supermarket - i don't think they want to be heard that much even."

I like that; I think that's probably entirely true. Good point!