Sunday, September 28, 2008

Fall Food



There is something about fall weather that makes me want to start cooking. I don't like to cook much in the summer; it's either the lazy days or the heat, or maybe both. I grill a lot in the summer. Plus, a lot of the things I like to cook are more fall-type things, like gumbo or hearty stews. My sweet tooth is pretty much year round; things like an apple pie (pictured) interest me or a pineapple upside down cake, like my grandmother used to make.

I have an old, old Chambers range that I would not trade for anything. I'd say it's the one thing I'd "grab in a fire" but I couldn't move it with the help of twelve men. That thing is HEAVY. Because of the narrow configuration of my kitchen I cannot take a decent photo of it to show you, but it looks like the one here. On the left side is a griddle, and mine, like the one pictured, has a cutting board sitting on top of it that I just move aside when it's time to make pancakes. On the back right is a well, in which a deep pot sits, which you can make soup in. I never use it for that. I can warm bread or rolls in it though. The oven is on the left and that is storage on the right. Mine is white, like this one.

The only problem with this stove is 3 burners; when I cook Thanksgiving dinner it takes a bit of juggling, but I get it done.

Right now my stove has a rump roast in the oven (it will be very rare when it comes out; I like it that way!); fresh peas from Lester's Farm are on the front left burner and a pot of rice on the back. When the roast comes out, I will slide a pecan pie in the oven, for dessert. I wanted to make the maple-nut pie, below, but didn't want to go buy walnuts. I guess I could have substituted pecans, but usually the first time I try a recipe I like to stick to it as written. Since I have pecans on hand (my mom has two pecan trees) I'm going for the pecan pie.

As fall progresses I suspect I'll be sharing more recipes here. There is something about fall, cool weather, football and holidays, that means FOOD!

Maple-Walnut Pie
  • 1 Recipe Single-Crust Pie Pastry, see recipe or 1 rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust (1/2 of a 15-oz. pkg.)
  • 1-1/2 cups pure maple syrup
  • 3 eggs
  • 6 Tbsp. butter, softened
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla
  • 2 Tbsp. light rum (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
  • Rum raisin or vanilla ice cream

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Prepare pastry and line 9-inch pie plate. Prick bottom and sides of pastry with fork. Line pastry with double thickness of foil. Bake 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 minutes more or until crust is lightly browned cool. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F.

2. In saucepan bring maple syrup to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until reduced to 1 cup.

3. In medium bowl beat eggs with electric mixer on medium to high speed until thick and lemon colored, about 5 minutes.

4. In large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated and brown sugar; beat to combine. Beat in reduced syrup and eggs. Fold in walnuts, vanilla, rum, and nutmeg. Pour into prebaked crust.

5. Bake pie on baking sheet in lower third of oven 35 minutes or until set around edges; cool. Serve with ice cream. Makes 10 servings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pat is really a great cook. I have never seen anyone who could go into a kitchen and prepare something like a Thanksgiving meal, and make it look effortless, although I know it isn't.

I for one am glad Pat loves to cook, because I love to eat. And if you read her blog about the Red River Revel, most of what they serve there, she can make way better, especailly the crawfish ettoufee.

What else is so neat, we can go to a nice restaurant, order something really good that the restaurant specializes in, and she can prepare it on her stove at home, and it tastes better.

When I was called up to active duty Army a couple of years ago, I would come home on weekends and return to Ft Polk with some prepared meals that I could warm up in the microwave in my room. Pat was concerned that I had to eat Army chow all the time and wasn't getting good home-cooked meals. She was right, but she took care of that problem.

I had plenty of frozen chicken soup on hand to "nuke" for when I would get to feeling under the weather.

Honest! Take if from me, I was skinny until I met Pat. Well, I wouldn't exactly say skinny, but can attribute a pound or two to her cooking.

Sarah said...

That recipe looks good - if I can come up with some extra cash, I may have to give it a try!

Mary Frances Archer said...

I want to learn how to make butternut squash soup! I had roasted eggplant soup in California and it was awesome!