Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Emmys


On Sunday night I will be in front of my television switching back and forth between the Emmys and the final night game in Yankee Stadium. The Yankee festivities kick off in the afternoon and go all day; my kleenix and I will be ready.

As for the Emmys, I, who watch very little television, have an interest because of the 23 nominations for the John Adams miniseries. I honestly don't watch very much on television except for news and such, but I've watched the Emmys in the past because I've always had one or two shows that I'm anxious to see win. Like the Sopranos. LOVED that series. I love watching House, but probably would not watch the Emmys just for that. Ditto for Grey's Anatomy.

But, as I have posted before, the John Adams series was really well done and I enjoyed watching it. I learned a lot about American History that I (sadly, embarrased) did not know. Laura Linney was inspiring as Abigail and Paul Giamatti as John Adams was also great but the actor that swept me off my feet was Stephen Dillane as Thomas Jefferson. Dillane is tall, as Jefferson was, and had the swagger and slightly superior demeanor that Jefferson is reported to have had. He was great. The series is also nominated for a cinematography award, but for me, sometimes the camera angles made me seasick. Sometimes they were all titled and crooked like you were on a ship on rocky seas. I also loved the theme music and hope it wins its category.

The series really gave you a sense of what was at stake for these guys and what sacrifices they made for their country. Of course after the series was over I had to go out and buy McCullough's book, which was excellent. The series left little out. If you have not seen it, you absolutely should! I hope it rakes in the awards tomorrow night!

Here's the scene where Adams and Franklin get their first look at Jefferson's draft of the Declaration of Independence:

1 comment:

Mary Frances Archer said...

that John Adams series was SUPERB - I loved every second of it! so glad Paul and Laura both won Emmys - so well deserved!