Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Oktoberfest is Here!



I have been wondering for the longest time WHY a city the size of Shreveport/Bossier does not have an Oktoberfest celebration. We've only recently started a St. Patrick's Day parade (it's a local, neighborhood affair right now). We go all out for Mardi Gras here with folks camping out along the bayou waiting for the parades, all day tailgating, etc., but Oktoberfest has been left out in the cold.

When Steve and I get to Des Moines, we like to go to the Hessen Haus to eat. It's a great little German place downtown, in front of the science center. They have authentic German food, lots of atmosphere and a polka band. Steve, with his German heritage, loves German food and I like the German beer! LOVE thos dark, German Oktoberfest beers. We had a Spaten Oktoberfest on draft last time we went there which was fabulous.

Finally, today, I came across this article announcing the first Oktoberfest celebration that I know of around here. Leave it to our Air Force base to come up with it! This celebration was just made for me and Steve! They will have a variety of German "biers, wines, sauerkraut, schnitzel, giant pretzels. German potato salad and Bavarian dinner rolls." Lots of music, a German oompah band, and people dressed up in German costume. Souvenir steins and t-shirts will be for sale. I'm there!

(Image credit: Hessenhaus.com)

2 comments:

Nikki said...

We have Oktoberfest here and I HATE it! But I don't like beer so that's probably my problem. :) We do have a St. Patty's parade here and it's my favorite local event. It's so much fun.

Anonymous said...

I love German food, and there are many dishes I love, but my favorite has to be Jagerschnitzel. Serve it with fried kartoffel (potatoes), Rotkohl (hot red cabbage), spetzel (a sort of noodle), brot (bread), and of course ein gross (large) glass beir. Gut essen und trinken! (Good food and drink).



Jagerschnitzel (The hunter's schnitzel)


Ingredients:
1 lb. boneless pork or veal cutlets
2 eggs (beaten)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
oil
2 oz bacon (diced)
4 oz onions (chopped)
8 oz mushrooms (sliced)
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dry wine
dash of thyme
pepper
salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp parsley
2 Tbsp sour cream



Step 1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Pound cutlets with a meat tenderizer to flatten them. Season cutlets with salt and pepper, dredge them in beaten eggs and then coat evenly with bread crumbs. Place cutlets into skillet and fry until golden brown (1-2 minutes on each side). Remove the meat from the skillet and drain on paper towels. Keep the meat warm in the oven while you make the gravy.


Step 2. Sauté bacon and onions until golden brown. Add tomato paste and mushrooms, and sauté over a low heat. Add wine, water and seasonings; let simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the sour cream. Pour over Schnitzel just before serving.

I had the pleasure of being stationed for two years in Germany at Rhein Main, Air Base just outside of Frankfurt.

There was a town called Walldorf that was just outside the back gate of Rhein Main, and to get to the town from the back gate you had to walk through some woods. Actually it was a fun thing to do.

There was gasthaus (guest house) there in Walldorf, that had a big hollow log in its front yard. I don't remember the actual name for the gasthaus, we just called it The Log.

They had really good food and plenty to drink. There were nights we sat around drinking with the Germans and having a great time.

I loved getting away from the base and spent a lot of time with the German citizens.

There was a place on base where the Germans who worked on Rhein Main could go for meals during the work day, and we called it the German Canteen. It was also a place where American airmen could go, and I went often. Everyday it was a different meal that would be served, but it was German cuisine. (Back then, a G.I. was allowed to have a beer or two during lunch, and I usually had a beer or two during lunch).

One day I went in the canteen for lunch and walked past a group of Germans. One of them saw my last name on my uniform and said, "Ah, gut German name!", and I was invited to sit at their table.

There are so many wonderful memories much like this, and too many to tell.

Oh by the way, I spent a week at Oktoberfest in Munich. Wow!