Tuesday, August 23, 2011

In the Mail: Fed Up!

Rick Perry's Fed Up!  arrived today, finally.  A lot of folks must be reading this book.  Amazon changed my shipping date twice before I finally got it.

The delay was fine because I'm still into Mark Steyn's After America.  Glory be!  I've got a notebook filled with notes on that one and sticky notes on nearly every page!  It is definitely a must read!

I saw yesterday on Memeorandum where Perry is supposedly backing off some of the statements he made in Fed Up!

Neil King, Jr. at The Wall Street Journal writes:

He suggested the program’s creation violated the Constitution. The program was put in place, “at the expense of respect for the Constitution and limited government,” he wrote, comparing the program to a “bad disease” that has continued to spread. Instead of “a retirement system that is no longer set up like an illegal Ponzi scheme,” he wrote, he would prefer a system that “will allow individuals to own and control their own retirement.”

But since jumping into the 2012 GOP nomination race on Saturday, Mr. Perry has tempered his Social Security views. His communications director, Ray Sullivan, said Thursday that he had “never heard” the governor suggest the program was unconstitutional. Not only that, Mr. Sullivan said, but “Fed Up!” is not meant to reflect the governor’s current views on how to fix the program.
That seems lame to me. It doesn't sound like the Perry I've been following.  To back off of a position that seemed so definite a few months ago for the purpose of political expediency will certainly come back to haunt Perry, if in fact, that is the case.

It seems as if it would be the ultimate of flip-flops.

I haven't read the book yet so I'm not sure exactly what he said, but my impression of Perry has been that he sticks to his guns (for better or worse).

At any rate, I have some interesting reading on my shelf right now!  Now, if I only had time to properly devote to it...




No comments: