Saturday, August 6, 2011

Loss of Navy SEALS Hits Home

The loss of 30 Americans in Afghanistan today in the Wardak province hits us all hard.  Two Shreveport families are hit especially hard.  Via The Shreveport Times:

Chief Petty Officer Robert James Reeves and Lt. Commander Jonas Kelsall were both killed today when a U.S. Chinook helicopter crashed in Wardak province...Reeves and Kelsall were both graduates of Caddo Magnet High School where they played soccer together, according to John Kelsall, Jonas Kelsall’s father. Both would join the military after graduation, though Reeves spent a year at LSU first, his father Jim Reeves, said.

Reeves became a SEAL in 1999, his father said, and served on SEAL Team 6. He was deployed many times in his career and earned four bronze stars among other achievments [sic], his father said.

Kelsall was one of the first members of SEAL Team 7, his father said, and received most of his training in San Diego. He attended the University of Texas right out of Basic Underwater Demolition training where he met his wife Victoria Jennings, John Kelsall said. They were married for three years.

Prayers to the families of all those lost today.

AddedThe AP story.

3 comments:

Melissa Mainiero said...

Victor coached both young men at Magnet. We were student teaching there when Jonas (who was in my geometry class) and a few other students tricked both Victor and I into chaperoning the back to school dance. They were both super kids with big dreams and determination. So sad...

Andy said...

Wow! Pat, I heard bits and pieces about the loss on the radio this morning. Then the truth is, I didn't even want to "tune in" to find out the details.

I knew it was going to be so dang sad that I really didn't want to deal with it.

Had no idea we'd learn that we'd lost more local men.

If the families are reading this, please know that you have our prayers. And, please know that I can not express in words my admiration for your lost loved ones. It brings a tear to my eye, so I know it must be truly gut-wrenching to you all.

You all have our prayers.

Traditional Tibby said...

A tragic loss for their families and friends, our prayers go out to all of them. The service of them all, and their families is a priceless treasure that out country sadly undervalues. I cannot find the words to express my thanks. God bless them all.