Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Rubio Statement on Sotomayor

Every blog in town seems to be talking about the Sotomayer nomination and I'm not sure I have much to add at this point. I haven't done my homework on her yet to the degree where I'm comfortable commenting on that. However, I HAVE done my homework on Marco Rubio, the Florida Senate candidate, and here is the statement he released on the nomination:

"I look forward to hearing more about Judge Sotomayor and her views about the proper role of the courts and judicial activism. The role the Supreme Court is to interpret the Constitution, not to make law. Given this, I am deeply concerned about Judge Sotomayor's past comment that the courts are 'where policy is made' and look forward to hearing her explanation and defense of that view.

"Judge Sotomayor deserves a fair hearing and respectful treatment, but there is much in her legal background that is troubling and demands scrutiny and honest discussion. I hope that a serious examination of her record and beliefs will not be shelved or cast aside simply so Democrats can attempt to claim political credit for a 'historic' court nomination."

Taking the advice of Robert Stacy McCain, I'm linking some of my favorite posts on Sotomayor from today: American Power, theblogprof, The Other McCain, Don Surber, Pundit and Pundette, Critical Politics, and Hot Air to name a few. Go on over to Memeorandum where you'll find lots of links - both left and right.

I agree with Rubio's statement in that Sotomayor deserves a fair hearing. I also agree that there are some troubling things there, but I'm not that's a shocker for anyone. Bring on the hearings!

2 comments:

Left Coast Rebel said...

I haven't developed an opinion either, howver I did post about Obama's 'empathy' qualification and the fact that he and the media seemed to be focusing on her sex and ethnicity,something smacking to me of collectivism....

G.R. said...

David Axelrod, Senior Advisor to Obama, said there's nothing to worry about Sotomayor. He said "...she is not dogmatic in her views..."

Yeah Right! If she didn't Obama wouldn't have even thought about nominating her.