Saturday, May 30, 2009

Uighurs NOT Coming to America?

Obama's plans to close Gitmo got a new kink Friday night. As reported by NRO's The Corner, the Obama Justice Department is now arguing that the Chinese Uighurs have no right to be released into the United States. Read the whole thing (go on, it's not long.)

As the Weekly Standard points out, "that this has the potential to put a major kink in the Obama administration's Gitmo diplomacy. European nations are clamoring for the U.S. to accept some of the Uighur detainees in return for accepting some themselves. Now, the Obama administration has conceded that the Uighurs have no right to be released in the United States."

The fact remains that to accept them into the United States violates immigration laws because of their terrorist ties.

This should enrage the left as they had been expecting, thanks to Eric Holder, that the Uighurs would soon be coming to America. Is the Obama administration feeling the push back from the right on this issue? Why the reversal? With Obama, you must always ask WHY?

(More at Memeorandum.)

2 comments:

snaggletoothie said...

Yours is the only blog that I have seen consistently report on the Uighurs. So when the mainstream press reported about them I was already somewhat informed. Thanks, Pat.
Is something about the issue that has drawn you to it?

Pat Austin Becker said...

I guess it just interests me because it seems like an issue that the MSM would ignore, which they pretty much have.

It also just blows my mind that the left thinks that these guys SHOULD be admitted into the US; I even had a commenter say she'd welcome them and take them in.

I'll never be able to get my head around that "If we're nice to terrorists they won't hurt us" mindset.

I naively think that if we write about these things and inform people then maybe we can push back against the left a little bit. I hope so, anyway.