Saturday, August 8, 2009

Full Metal Jacket Reach Around - Back to School Edition

This has been my last week of full time blogging for the summer; tomorrow is our Open House and I'm back to work on Monday. As far as blogging goes, it just means that my updates will be a little later in the day rather than in the morning. Our school filters block Blogger and I don't really have time to blog at work anyway! But, the start of school means fall is coming and I do love the fall: LSU football, the first snap of cool weather which precipitates the first pot of gumbo, Oktoberfest!, the leaves turning colors and then falling, and Steve shelling pecans until his fingers bleed. It won't be long!

That said, lets get to the Back to School Linkfest:

Professor Jacobson at Legal Insurrection had the best advice for the week, suggesting that everyone tone down the rhetoric a little bit with regard to these protests. It's not a war, it's a debate. As conservatives, we need to not lower ourselves to the ways of the left and debate the issue with restraint and facts.

Mary Katharine Ham had a point this week when she wrote "I think all Nazi comparisons are counter-productive & hyperbolic in Amer. politics..." (and I think that's the first time I've ever linked to a "Tweet".)

Doug Ross is highlighting some great new yard signs; seriously - I want one.

Pundette has a suspicious yet hilarious collection of "fishy" quotes from the blogosphere and she also has an inside link to Mark Steyn! Jealous!!

TrogloPundit has a funny Monty Python clip showing your future under Obamacare. It's only about 2 minutes; go look and then come back. We'll wait for you.

Jimmie at The Sundries Shack explains the laws of physics on Obamacare - cause and effect, you know.

Stacy McCain has been blogging from the YAF National Conservative Student Conference where he partied with Ann Coulter (who linked me this week!). Contrary to former beliefs, Ann does in fact eat. She ate a cheese fry. Stacy saw it.

Donald Douglas has an interesting post about Congressman David Scott's Town Hall Meltdown. Donald asks the question,
"Why isn't President Obama reaching out to answer those who have legitimate questions, instead of making threats about gathering the names of those spreading "disinformation"? This administration is the ultimate in amateurish nightmare!"

The Daley Gator takes a REAL look at the unemployment numbers.

I'm not the only one anticipating fall; Fishersville Mike is looking toward fall football, NFL style.

I think Grandpa John is starting to look kinda "fishy"!

Sister Toldjah was just as enraged as I was by Obama's "don't do a lot of talkin'" comment.

There's a nice tribute to John Hughes at Caught Him With a Corndog; I loved his movies. Planes, Trains and Automobiles is one of my favorites.

Little Miss Attila critiques the new RNC ad, below. She's right, it's a little over the top, but I like it:



Monique Stuart has some things to say about the new jets for Congress. She's not pleased.

Did you ever hear the story about when Sarah ran over herself? Here's your chance! It's hilarious, I swear. She doesn't mind if you laugh.

Generation Patriot has a good post on the Cash for Clunkers mess.

Carol at Carol's Closet was at the Tampa Town Hall and has a great write up (with pics!) of it all.

Snaggletoothie has some thoughts about whether or not Obamacare is going to pass. I won't tell you what he thinks - go look and see. It's depressing but look anyway.

Bride of Rove calls it like she sees it, and she's right on with this one.

And to leave you on a cute note, go look at this week's pictures of Charlie and Chloe!

7 comments:

Left Coast Rebel said...

I'll miss you in your absence, I sold my house a couple of years ago as well and know how much work it is......
Keep up the great work!

Pat Austin Becker said...

No, no, I'm not selling my house; I meant our Open House at school! It's like Back to School Night, but on Sunday afternoon.

I'm not going anywhere, though; I'll just be posting a little later in the day.

FerfeLaBat said...

There are anonymizer sites that work around the blocks - I think. But work is far more important than blogging. You northerners kill me with the season changes. I read the glowing anticipation every fall and every fall I think I may want to drive off the island and go see it for myself and then a hurricane hits or something and I remember why I love the tropics ;-) But this year we may actually head up for leaf changes.

Pat Austin Becker said...

Wow; I wondered why you were calling me a "northerner" (that's almost akin to calling me a "Yankee"!), but then I realized where you are!

I'd trade places in a heartbeat! LOVE LOVE the ocean and the tropics! Jealous!!

Pat Austin Becker said...

@Ferfe

Duh. Just connected your name and realized who I was talking to. I'm slow sometimes.

FerfeLaBat said...

Virtually everything in the continental US is north of me. I was just teasing you. Also, virtually every member of my family is or was a teacher. I am the black sheep of the family. A conservative and not a teacher - although I did convert my mom to the right side.

I, too, will miss you during the slowdown\semi-haitus. How often does the POTUS declare war on American citizens? You're going to miss all the good parts.

Sarah said...

Yeah, you didn't have to link that LOL But thanks!

And have fun back at school!