Thursday, September 17, 2009

Blehhhhhhhhhh

Blehhhh. I've been under the weather for the past couple of days. Nothing major, but I'm fighting something off. It's been raining here for seven solid days. A slow, drippy rain. Grey. When I got home yesterday, around 5, I went to bed with a book and the dogs. Felt like blehhhhhhhhh. I got through school today with the help of lots of aspirin and now I've got a pot of chicken soup going.

It's a simple recipe, really, and I don't know why anybody would ever open a can for chicken soup, except that it's faster. Seriously, do they even put chicken in Campbells Chicken Soup? My sister sent this recipe to me.

All you do is boil a chicken. Debone it. Return the meat to the stock. (If you want to be finicky, do this the day ahead, put the stock in the fridge, and skim the grease off the top the next day, then proceed.) Add a chopped onion, some chopped celery, some chopped carrots, and LOTS of fresh ground pepper and TONS of freshly chopped garlic. Salt to taste. Some folks like to add rice, or noodles, or mushrooms, and that's all fine. The magic of this soup lies in the garlic and the pepper. Will cure almost anything. I usually add a little barley rather than rice or noodles. And I usually chop some green onions up on the top when serving.

So.

I'm making soup and will hopefully return to the living tomorrow. Luckily I have lots of really good books to keep me occupied. (My brain is too blehhhhhhhhh for proper blogging.)

3 comments:

Bride Of Rove said...

Feel Better soon!

Sandy said...

Hope you feel better soon.

MarySue said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. Your soup sounds great.