Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Remembering Rocque on His Birthday

Today is my friend Rocque's birthday.  I wish I could take him a cake or send a card, but I can't.

Everyone that knew Rocque has their own personal favorite memories.  I posted some of mine here.  Rocque was a fun loving person and you always had a good time when you were around him.  He could aggravate you to no end, too!  I first met him around 1990 or '91.  For some odd reason it was considered cute (among girls) to wear laces, actual lace - laces, in your tennis shoes instead of strings.  You could go to the shoe store and buy shoestrings made out of lace.  Run 'em through your Keds and it was oh so cute.

This fad puzzled Rocque to no end.  (Looking back, I understand why).  Whenever he saw me with my "laces" he'd get a quizzical look and stare at them.  Then he couldn't resist the impulse to untie them.  Endlessly.  As our whole group would spend hours in Bilbo Baggins playing foosball, I could easily have to retie my shoes eight or ten times a night.  He thought it was hilarious.

He could get along with anybody.  As I said, he was just fun to be around.  I'll say this:  even my mother loved Rocque.  When he worked at Snyder Floor Covering he sold her a new kitchen floor.  I took him over there, he made the sale, and then saw the project through to the end.  He'd go over there and talk to her and explain things to her all through the installation.  He kept her laughing.  If you're a regular reader, you know my mom is a curmudgeon.  She's very selective about who she takes a shine too, but Rocque won her over.

Rocque, as I said before, loved music and it is some consolation that now he has the best concert seats possible as he is in the company of many great musicians:  Buddy Holly, Jimi Hendrix, Ronnie Van Zant, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Clarence Clemons, and many, many more.  He'd love that.

I'm remembering you today, Rocque, and everyday.  Won't ever forget you.

No comments: