My good friend and most excellent state Senator, Buddy L. Shaw, is not seeking re-election for District 37. He's not term limited, he's just not seeking re-election. He has worked hard for Louisiana for years in both education and in political service and I don't begrudge his retirement one bit. I do hate to lose him in the senate, though.
Running for his seat on the Republican ticket are Barrow Peacock and Rep. Jane Smith. Rep. Smith is term limited but apparently not ready to go home.
SIGIS is endorsing Barrow Peacock in this race. He's a conservative Republican and I believe right for the job.
Rep. Smith has made some bad votes that preclude my support for her. She voted FOR lifetime benefits for legislators who have served ten years or more. To my mind, public service is just that: public service. It's not a career, or shouldn't be, and it should not be your source for lifetime benefits. Seems egregious to me.
She voted in favor of the unions in HB 204 to conceal the collective bargaining process from taxpayers.
Via Northwest Tea Party Alliance, she voted FOR all of these tax increases:
- Increased the fee on Driver's License (HB219: Act 419; 2005)
- Voted to impose a 2.8% State Sales Tax on business utilities and other items = $160 MILLION (HB 1 Act No. 4, 2004 E.S.)
- Voted to impose a fee on other than new tires – (HB 846 Act No. 846, 2004 R.S.)
- Voted to extend the authority of colleges to raise fee up to 3% a year - (HB 993; 2004 R.S.)
- Voted to authorize the imposition of fees on aquaculture operations - (HB 1192; Act No. 865, 2004 R.S.)
- Voted to authorize a fee for conducting Medicare surveys - (HB 1391; Act No. 558, 2004 R.S.)
- Voted to authorize the LA Tax Commission to impose fees for services - (HB 1419; Act No. 285, 2004 R.S.)
- Voted to authorize an additional fee on shrimpers - (HB 1711; Act No. 904, 2004 R.S.)
- Voted to increase the tax on the sale of pesticide - (HB 1396; Act No.120; 2003 R.S.)
- Voted to increase the tax for engaging in beekeeping - (HB 1400; Act No.122; 2003 R.S.)
- Voted to increase the tax on services provided by the Horticulture Commission - (HB 1402; Act No.123; 2003 R.S.)
- Voted to increase the tax warehouse businesses - (HB 1472; Act No.172; 2003 R.S.)
- Voted to increase the tax for shipping sweet potatoes - (HB 1493; Act No.134; 2003 R.S.)
- Voted to increase the tax for the sale of feed - (HB 1652; Act No.173; 2003 R.S.)
- Voted to increase the tax for selling seeds - (HB 1675; Act No.175; 2003 R.S.)
- Voted to impose a 3.9% Sales Tax on food and utilities = $455 MILLION (HB 169; Act 22; 2002 R.S.)
- Voted to impose a Personal Income Tax by eliminating education tax credit = $18 MILLION (HB 238; Act 25; 2002 R.S.)
- Voted to impose a 4-cent Cigarette Tax = $14.2 MILLION - (HB 167; Act 21; 2002 R.S.)
- Voted to impose an additional 12-cent Cigarette Tax Increase = $44.6 MILLION - (HB 157; Act 19; 2002 R.S.)
- Voted to impose a Driver's License Tax = $4 MILLION - (HB 100; 2002 R.S.)
- Voted to impose a Trailer Tax Increase = $2.1 MILLION - (HB 244; 2002 R.S.)
- Voted to increase taxes on tobacco = $18 MILLION - (HB 117; 2000 R.S.)
- Voted to increase taxes by reducing excess itemized deduction & education tax credit = $88 MILLION - (HB 299; 2000 R.S.)
- Voted to increase personal income tax = $750 MILLION - (HB 295; 2000 R.S.)
- Voted to increase sales tax on food and utilities = $110 MILLION - (HB 140; 2000 R.S.)
- Voted for Car Rental Tax = $5 MILLION - (HB 193; 2000 R.S.)
- Voted for Sales Tax on food and utilities = $330 MILLION (HB 36; 2000 E.S.)
- Voted to tax certain LLCs = $2.4 MILLION (HB 285; 2000 R.S.)
This week I received a mailer from her campaign in which she says her opponent, Barrow Peacock, is "open minded" about abortion and marriage, totally misrepresenting what Mr. Peacock has publicly stated:
(Video courtesy of NWTPA)
Smith's voting record is here.
From Barrow Peacock's website on the issues:
- Vote "NO" To New Taxes
- Limit the Size of State Government
- Create a "JOB FRIENDLY" Louisiana
- Promote Conservative Values in Louisiana
- Support Term Limits
- Support Our Veterans
- Oppose ALL attempts to bring back Stelly tax
- Place a priority on and secure complete funding for the 3132 Extension
- Protect our senior citizens
- Oppose taxpayer funded bailouts
- Support Barksdale Air Force Base
Added: In an email from Mr. Peacock he assures me, "I am Pro-Life and believe marriage is between a Man and woman." Conservative values. Jane Smith "is lying" about his stance on these issues, he says.
I believe she is.